DX-2G discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My LDS has just told me that the DX-2G is a discontinued product and it's replacement won't be available (in New Zealand) until November.

Any news on what the replacement will be?

I've been agonising over upgrading my 8000G for sometime and finally decided on the DX-2G over a Canon G12, but with no information on what is replacing the DX-2G I might have to revisit the decision.

If possible, if someone from S&S could email me a datasheet for the new product then that would be fabulous! andy AT rocksaltscuba DOT com.

Many thanks.

It's no guarantee but if you can scare up some info on Ricoh cameras you might get a clue. The DX-2G is a rebranded Ricoh GR II with altered firmware, so perhaps its successor will be too. There is a GR III listed... so if there is a DX-3G coming, maybe it will be related.

Why did you decide on the DX-2G? I have one and like it quite a bit, but if I was buying today, I might well choose something else.

Is it completely sold out now? I have an email contact for a rep for them, he sent me an email with custom setting tips for DX-2G last year, I'll PM you with it.

I had the 8000G and then upgraded to the DX-2G and both have been good cameras. The DX-2G has quite a bit more settings than the 8000G, 3 customizable MY settings feature, Manual Modes, custom white balance, RAW, even strobe settings.... The biggest difference for me initially was the shooting lever, on the 8000G you press a button and on the 2G it's an actual lever that you can press down half way to focus and then shoot. That actually took a little getting used to from what I was previously using, I think initially I had more blurry shots than I was used to. Good camera to work with until I'm ready to try a DSLR underwater. If it's not still sold out I would recommend it or maybe you can find a used one.

HI-
The DX-2G is still a current product in the US, we are unsure of other regions. At this time, there is no updated informaton from Japan on the successor to the DX-2G (it is actually a similar camera to the Ricoh GX200 not GRII). When more information is known, it will be announced on seaandsea.com.

Oops, you're right of course, the GX200!

Too bad there is no Ricoh GX300 known to be in the works. People on photo forums have been wondering about that for a long time but there's been no hint of it so far. The GX200 is a great camera, and my Sea&Sea version is also my pocket camera on land. If a new version came out that fit my DX-2G housing and did HD video, I'd happily upgrade.

Why did you decide on the DX-2G? I have one and like it quite a bit, but if I was buying today, I might well choose something else.

It's a reasonable trade off in terms of cost/quality in terms of an upgrade.

I currently have a DX8000G, which is OK - but it's RAW capabilities are very frustrating. Ideally, I'd like to use my Nikon D90 for u/w and upgrade to a D7000 for land photography. Alas, the cost of the housing and two new TTL strobes is too much for my wallet.

I considered the G9/10/11/12 from Canon, whilst my current strobes would be OK initially I'd have to shell out for a new wet wide angle lens which adds to the cost again.

The DX-2G minimises the upgrade cost, has an ok RAW capability (at least it's not proprietary like the 8000G!) and lets me keep all my current accessories.

HI-
The DX-2G is still a current product in the US, we are unsure of other regions. At this time, there is no updated informaton from Japan on the successor to the DX-2G (it is actually a similar camera to the Ricoh GX200 not GRII). When more information is known, it will be announced on seaandsea.com.

Thanks. We are a fairly minor market, so I suspect the distributor has heard rumours of a new model and has decided to not bring in new stock that they may not be able to get rid of.

Hypothetically speaking, would any future replacement for the DX-2G use the same wet mount for the wide angle adaptor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom