DX-2G Impressive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reports on the DX-2g. I am looking at this camera to be my next purchase and it is nice to see that it is well received.

Thanks for the reports on the DX-2g. I am looking at this camera to be my next purchase and it is nice to see that it is well received.

Is that about 1,000 dollars? I dare say you would get much more camera with the FIX90 housing and Canon S90 camera, a whole lot more camera and only another 200 dollars for the rig. Much more rugged, much more capable, much greater control and growth opportunity.

Amazon.com: Sea & Sea DX-2G UW Digital Camera Sports Package w/ YS-27DX - SS-06604S: Camera & Photo

This (above) is not a bad rig, just a bit expensive and clunky. Again, going with the Inon S2000 at around 475 you have a more compact unit with similar power and features.

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe [ino.417] - $469.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

FIX S90 Housing [fix.s90] - $799.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Canon S90: Best Price for Canon PowerShot S90 Digital Camera: Sale, Discount, Cheap - Canon S90 IS

or:

http://www.amazon.com/Ikelite-Underwater-Housing-Powershot-Digital/dp/B002XR58NC

with possibly this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529283-REG/Ikelite_4035_1_AF_35_Secondary_Strobe_Kit.html

http://www.ikelite.com/af35/autoflash.html

Just a thought.

N

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Nemrod I'm not sure what you mean by a "bit expensive and clunky." I have the DX-1G that is the same size as the DX-2G and it is very compact for an underwater camera. It has full manual, and point and shoot capabilities, and a very short lag time. Additionally, there are also add-ons like a wide angle lens, and a close-up lens. I also use mine for everyday use and find that it takes great pictures, and I don't think of it as being "clunky" rather I find it to be a nice sized camera that fits in your hand and is easy to handle. There are a lot of good camera options that are available out there that all take great pics. I'm just not seeing your point of view. Is the Canon S90 a good camera, from what I read it appears to be very good camera. However, I think that the DX-1G and DX-2G are also great cameras that offer a lot to someone that wants both a point and shoot camera as well as one that offers full manual controls as well.

Regards,

Bill

Hmmmm. There are a lot of good camera options that are available out there that all take great pics. I'm just not seeing your point of view.

You don't have to, I just provided some options for those who rather have more capability. It is not for everybody, no hard sale, just pointed out that for approximately the same price you can purchase a Canon brand name camera with rave reviews and an aluminum housing that is considerably smaller than the topic camera with plastic housing for a minimal increase in expenditure. Note that I also provided a link to a complete set for the topic S&S camera that seemed to offer a good price for the complete rig with a tray and quality strobe. Either or, whatever you like. :)
N

I tend to disagree as well, specially on your first post.
I am an instructor who shoots with a DSLR but I am looking for a compact for my students.
It ended up being S90 vs 2G... and I think the 2G won this battle for the following reasons:

- S&S's housing is more rugged than Ike's and Canon's;
- S&S's housing is more ergonomically sound than them AND FIX's;
- S&S's system is the easier to grow on, no figuring how to set your optical cables with stickers or if anything is compatible or not;
- 2G is just as good as a S90 topside, and I specially like the 24mm wide;
- S&S's WA adapter is pretty capable and fine;
- S&S's macro adapter with that very nice and very cheap macro diffuser is also really good;
- S&S's new compact TTL strobe units are really interesting, at a very good price...

In the end with all the bits and pieces you need to put up a system together with pieces from different manufacturers you end up with a more expensive and clunkier system (specially with the bigger aluminum housing which is just not really needed at this level) and one more prone to failures.

DiveMaven, have you finished editing your pics? I would really enjoy seeing them.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom