DX 2G macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissyP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Recently added a S&S DX 2G to the camera collection.. My question is, is there a macro lens for it? All I can find is the wide angle, which I'm not particularly interested in... I know the camera is capable of decent macro on its own, but I'm really surprised that I can't find a separate macro lens to add on. Anyone know?

There is a macro lens for the 2G, it is the 125 lens. You will also need a ring adapter to attach the lens to the bayonet mount on the camera. Below is the description on the Sea&Sea website. If you go to the website, click on "Accessories for Compact Digital Housings" and then scroll down to the 125 lens description.

Close-UP Lens 125
(Product No.52119)

*Enlarged image
[ Specifications ]
[Lens construction] 2 elements in 2 groups (multi-coated)
[Focal length] 125mm (equivalent to close-up lens No.8)
[Dimensions (DIAxD)] 74x9.5mm / 3x0.4inch
*The appropriate Close-UP Lens Ring is required to attach to the DX-2G / DX-1G / DX-1200HD housings. (Magnification can be multiplied by stacking them.)
*When the zoom of the digital camera is close to the maximum wide angle end, the four corners of the picture may darken. To correct this, move the zoom control slightly toward the telephoto side.
Instruction Manual for "Close-UP Lens 125"(0.25MB)

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill-- can you attach the lens and adapter underwater to the housing..? I know some of the S&S lenses are changeable underwater, I'm just not familiar with the 2G yet obviously :idk:

Thanks Bill-- can you attach the lens and adapter underwater to the housing..? I know some of the S&S lenses are changeable underwater, I'm just not familiar with the 2G yet obviously :idk:

I can answer that one for you. As long as you have the bayonet adapter on at least one lens you can use both underwater. The bayonet is only a 1/4 turn or so to lock it in place and the lens is screwed in to the bayonet style adapter.

MissyP, another lens you may want to look at for a future purchase is a fisheye lens. Here is a link to the lens I bought based upon the recommendation of Devil Diver: FIX UWL-04 Fisheye Wet Lens. I used on my Fiji trip and it worked great. I was able to get very close to the subject (mostly reef and shark photos) and captured a lot of the coral with color.

Regards,

Bill

Ron and all, thanks for the replies. I have the basic package ( Sea & Sea DX-2G 12.1 Megapixel Digital Camera and Housing, YS-01 Strobe Package and Soft Case - camera, housing, strobe), so I'd need a bayonet adapter, the 125 close up lens, and the ring adapter? Do you happen to have a link or part number to those items (besides the 125, which Bill gave a part # to)? Leaving for Palau in May and I don't want to take my other u/w cam + housing because it weighs 16 lbs with strobes, housing, etc lol, so I'm trying to get this 2G set up asap. I'm just not familar w/ their products..

Hi Missy, here is the information on the ring adaptor:

(Product No.58119)

A set-up ring to attach the Close-UP Lens 125 to the DX-2G / DX-1G housings.
Instruction Manual for "Close-UP Lens Ring"(0.25MB)

Regards,

Bill

Missiy, the set-up ring screws onto the lens and provides the bayonet mount needed to attach it to the housing.

Regards,

Bill

MissiP

I have this setup with the DX-1G and I am not impressed by the improvement over the normal macro capabilities of this camera. Maybe stacking multiple lenses would give me what I expected but with the single macro lens I don't see much difference.

I use the DX-1G with double stacked 125 lenses. There is a moderate increase in magnification. With two lenses chromatic aberration (color separation at the edges of a subject and its background) becomes an issue if cropping. Even so, this combination gives powerful supermacro capabilities. Have been able to shoot tiny nudis as small as 3mm if multiple shots are taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom