DX-2G set-up and strobe syncing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DX-2G users, how are you shooting with this camera? manual? Aperture priority? Auto? Sea&Sea mode?

I've only used it on one trip so far and and had planned on trying all the settings to see which I got the best results form. Including shooting in Auto, using the same settings I had used with my DX-5000G.

I ended up shooting the whole trip in S&S mode because I was dealing with seasickness & ear issues most days and didn't much feel up to playing with settings, just shooting was good enough.

The shots come out ok, but most seemed much noisier then I would like, (the S&S mode seems to pick it's own ISO and the minimual setting is 200...I'd prefer to shoot at 100 ISO.

The other issue was that the strobe didn't appear to be firing on most shots. It seemed like at the time it was firing, but the pics didn't show it.

Which brings me to the second question, I am using the same strobe I had with my DX-5000G, the S&S YS-25.

Most of the time it seemed as if the strobe did not fire, I have attributed it to operator error, as I thought I had the little flash guard on the housing in the wrong position, but I'm not so sure.

I set the gear up the other night as I had set it up for the trip, and the strobe seemed to be firing just fine, but some shots didn't seem to have the light that I thought they should have...

...is it possible that the YS-25 is not compatible with the DX-2G and they are not syncing properly? or is it possible that I was correct in my first assumpsion...operator error :D

Thanks for your thoughts...

Sharky, I have no experience with the YS-25, but I do own a Sea&Sea DX-2G

After reading the YS-25 user manual PDF online, I'm fairly sure that the YS-25 is compatible with your camera but it does not have automatic TTL exposure. You have to adjust the strobe power level manually using the dial

Which means you'll have to tell it to IGNORE the camera's preflash. Otherwise it will sync and fire at the same time with the preflash when it's fired just before the main flash. Chances are it won't be able to recover and recharge quickly enough to sync again when the main flash fires - that's when the shutter is opened. Could be the reason why you're getting some dark exposures?

The DX-2G fires ONE preflash (some cameras fire more) so you'll need to set the Power switch dial (if not already) to #2 so the YS-25 will ignore exactly one preflash, and sync only when the main flash fires from the camera's built-in flash

I would recommend that you use an Aperture Priority mode when using this manual flash because you'll get consistent level of exposure for the same aperture and distance (flash exposure is not affected by changing shutter speed. it is only affected by changing aperture or distance to your subject). You want to AVOID any settings that automatically vary the aperture F number or ISO... If you can get accustomed to using A or M modes with the DX-2G you'll find it really worth the time investment

great! thanks so much for the responce, I'll give it all a try

Here are a few pics using the DX2G with the camera set in manual mode and using ttl on the ys01 strobes.

Attachments

• M0011613.jpg
    M0011613.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 94
  • M0011654.jpg
    M0011654.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 98
  • M0011127-1.JPG
    M0011127-1.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 85
  • M0011126.jpg
    M0011126.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 86
  • M0011104.jpg
    M0011104.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 87
I have the DX-2G and use it in manual mode. My problem with aperature prioroity is that I can't predict the shutter speed the camera will use and therefore, the speed may be too slow to get the subject without a blur. I always want at least 1/60th of a second or a faster shutter speed to freeze the subject in the picture. I would also suggest that the YS-25 strobe may not be putting out enough light for some of you pics. I use the YS-110a and it seems to work fine.

Cardog, love your pics. Great job.

Regards,

Bill

I have the DX-2G and use it in manual mode. My problem with aperature prioroity is that I can't predict the shutter speed the camera will use and therefore, the speed may be too slow to get the subject without a blur. I always want at least 1/60th of a second or a faster shutter speed to freeze the subject in the picture. I would also suggest that the YS-25 strobe may not be putting out enough light for some of you pics. I use the YS-110a and it seems to work fine.

Cardog, love your pics. Great job.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I haven't even messed with aperature priority since I'm getting good results in full manual.

I put the DX-1G in aperture priority to get a good idea of the shutter speed that is needed to get a good balance between the background lighting and the subject in the foreground. Aperture is based on the guide number of the strobe and the distance between subject and strobe/camera. The LCD-panel shows you the shutterspeed that is needed for balanced lighting. If that shutterspeed is too slow to get a sharp image I switch to full manual to limit the shutter speed to 1/60 or a bit slower. It depends on the amount of available light on the subject. If the lighting of the subject is almost completely done by the strobe, then a slower shutterspeed will still give you a sharp subject and an acceptable sharp background.
If you want the subject against a dark background the shutterspeed should be higher than suggested by the aperture priority.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom