DX-IG accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix1131

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just recently purchased a DX-IG and took it out to take some shots and I love it. I'm in the mood to spend a little more on the camera but not sure what would be my best purchase options. I'd like to buy something minimally priced - i.e. less than $150-200. Are there any small accessories that anyone has bought that they love or think are really necessary?

Thanks!

HI Phoenix-
You could look at the Macro diffuser (#SS-28107) or the close-up lens and lens adapter as accessories in your price range. You can check out some options HERE.
Hope that helps.

Phoenix, save your money and make a strobe or wide angle lens your next purchase. You can take macro pics with no attachments but you need a wide angle lens for large animals (sharks, whale sharks, etc) and for getting close to reefs so that your strobe can light up a large section of the reef.

Personally, I would make a strobe my next purchase.

Regards,

Bill

Can anyone recomend a strobe for the DX-1g? What would be the best suited for the camerea, as I am a new photographer. Also I took the camera to Cozumel over the last week. Two things occured.
1. In a cenote dives--2--though the camera showed it was recording the images, I got no file?
2. On the reef dive, the camera started to scroll through the menus at about 100 feet. It quit at about 85 and continued to function. The flash did not fire at all on that dive--It was an external on loan, YS 27DX. It was check and connected right with the strobe set to fire. I guess it was the learning curve but I for the life of me cannot figure what caused these problems. Anyone have any ideas?

I use the YS 110.

For the flash not firing my first question is: Did you pop it up? That was one of the first things I noticed when I was playing with it on land.

One thing I learned from another photographer is to always take some pictures on land after you've set up the rig. Then if there is a problem you can fix it. Once in the water your ability to fix some things is removed.

I would recommend the YS-110a as the strobe to use. it has a relatively short recycle time (time to charge the flash and take another pic) and a focus light built in for night dives or dives in low light. It will also synch with the DX-1G's DS-TTL function. I'm not sure what the problem was with recording or the flash. I will agree with mikemill that you need to check the settings on the flash and take a few before going underwater. Send an email to Sea&Sea they will give you some possibilities.

Regards,

Bill

I have a YS 110 on the left and a 27 on the right side. I love this setup so I can say either strobe works great although as hammerhead man suggested - the 110 has a few more features that you will want as your photography skills grow.

On the problem with the 27 - assuming you had the flash popped up and there was no problem with the connection, plus you had the flash setting on (hey - these are all mistakes I have already made) then the one that I most recently discovered was on the 27 there are 3 settings - off and two different ones for on ... I found to have consistent success with the strobe I had to have the 2nd on setting ... the one furthest from off.

As for next item to purchase ... depends on where you are going to be diving and what kind of pictures you want to take. If down south in the tropics and looking at the pretty fish and little critters then I would suggest a strobe. since it is going to add a lot to your macro and medium distance shots. This is assuming that you've got good bouyancy skills to be able to get in close without banging up the reef. If however you are wanting more of the large animals, seascapes or shipwrecks then w/a is a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom