DYI Optical sync

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It crossed my mind that there had to be a cheaper solution to optical sync. When looking at the S&S optical sync cords for the mx10 at $200 i fogured that there had to be a better way. Now i'm gettting into digital and suprisingly the cables are much cheaper than the ones for the MX10.

My friend suggested that i consder retrofitting an audio optical cable. Above water testing suggest that this will work very well. I tried testing between my C5050 in the PT15 using the YS20 strobe pointed away from the camera. Testing it with out the cable and with the cable proved that the cable caused it to flash.

When i get my YS90dx i can do the true test. Of course the real hassle is mounting the cable. In the PT15 the mounting is fairly easy. It appears that it doesn't matter of the cable is pointing directly into the flash or the sensor. It can be 90 degrees out and still trigger. This makes mounting quite easy on with the flash defuser and mounting posts. Right now it's duct taped in. A little hokey but works.

Mark

Hello,

Fiber optic cables are not cheap to make. You may want to look into some wet cable alternative.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom