Dynamic Apnea Distance Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering if there is a good way to determine one's open water distance capability from a known pool distance. I know what I can swim horizontally in a pool but I want to get an idea of how that would translate in an open water situation with no turns. I know that in an open water situation I would have no need to turn so that would help me go a bit quicker but I would also not have the added bonus of the push-off each time I turn around. Any ideas on this? I wish I had a good open water spot to figure this out but I don't right now.

I'd say what ever you can do in the pool you can for sure do depth wise. You may not be getting the benefit of kick-offs, but you are getting the benefit of your lungs shrinking and slowing your use of oxygen. In my experience, what ever I did in the pool, I could do that and then some in the open water.

I'd say what ever you can do in the pool you can for sure do depth wise. You may not be getting the benefit of kick-offs, but you are getting the benefit of your lungs shrinking and slowing your use of oxygen. In my experience, what ever I did in the pool, I could do that and then some in the open water.

No...I don't mean depth. I'm saying what is the distance difference between dynamic (horizontal swimming) in the pool and dynamic in the open water. Just distance no depth.

From what I can tell though depth and distance are definitely very different. The world records for each are nowhere near each other.

No...I don't mean depth. I'm saying what is the distance difference between dynamic (horizontal swimming) in the pool and dynamic in the open water. Just distance no depth.From what I can tell though depth and distance are definitely very different. The world records for each are nowhere near each other.

They look pretty close to my eye - remember the depth records are two-way trips!

FWIW my depth performance - 40m - well outdistances my 50m in dynamic.

All the best, James

They look pretty close to my eye - remember the depth records are two-way trips!

FWIW my depth performance - 40m - well outdistances my 50m in dynamic.

All the best, James

It's not really the same thing. Diving down means fighting against buoyancy and coming back up means letting your wetsuit carry you slightly.

Yes, that's all true, but...I was addressing that the world records wern't anywhere near each other.

World record Dynamic Apnea: 250m (meters)

World Record Constant Ballast: 122m (a 2 way trip, so, 122m + 122m =244m)

...pretty close.

I'd characterize the "fighting buoyancy" to be not quite that for me. I only really push against it for the first 10 meters, and coast down for half the dive.
And I really don't get much help from the wetsuit for most of the ascent; it only really takes the load off from about 8 meters and shallower. Most of the way up I have to swim pretty steadily.

All the best, James

Yes, that's all true, but...I was addressing that the world records wern't anywhere near each other.

World record Dynamic Apnea: 250m (meters)

World Record Constant Ballast: 122m (a 2 way trip, so, 122m + 122m =244m)

...pretty close.

I'd characterize the "fighting buoyancy" to be not quite that for me. I only really push against it for the first 10 meters, and coast down for half the dive.
And I really don't get much help from the wetsuit for most of the ascent; it only really takes the load off from about 8 meters and shallower. Most of the way up I have to swim pretty steadily.

All the best, James

Good points but I guess I never made it clear that I'm talking no-fins here. There is a big difference in records there.

Constant weight no-fins: 88m (166m round trip)
Dynamic no-fins: 213m

Thanks for the answer.

Ah ha! No fins - that's foreign teritory for me. Best of luck.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom