• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

E-620!

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by jlyle, Feb 24, 2009.

1. PHIL RUDIN

PHIL RUDIN Scuba Media & Publications

# of Dives:
    Dhuskins,

I think its the smaller BLS-1 battery for the E-400/E-410/E-420/E-620 and the BLM-1 for the E-1/E-300/E-330/E-510/E-520/E-30 & E-3.

Smaller camera smaller battery.

Phil Rudin

2. Mr_Pyro

Mr_Pyro Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Sweet little camera!
    If they include a video function with working autofocus they'd have a real killer product.

/Mr_Pyro

3. Deeptoes

Deeptoes Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I was think of getting an e-520, but now I'm searching for more on the e-620.

4. Ardy

Ardy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Lucky you I just bought a E-520 and housing 8 weeks ago. Still I think that the amount of work I am going to go through to get on top of this one will keep me thinking for the next couple of years.

BTW - has anyone used the 40-150 kit lens underwater? I was wondering if it would be a useful (as opposed to great) fish lens?

5. JackConnick

JackConnick Optical Ocean Sales ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

My rep said they will have the E-620 at PMA next week. I decided to go after hearing that... ;-)

Give me a list of what questions you have about it. No, there is no video capability...

Jack

6. dhuskins

dhuskins Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My question is: how many pictures can I expect to take with the camera running live view the entire time? Can I get two hours of photography and 150 pictures?

I want it to last for a two tank dive trip without having to crack the housing open on the boat.

7. JackConnick

JackConnick Optical Ocean Sales ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

I don't see why not. There are several settings to conserve batteries, etc. I just question how much you'll really use Live View. It is pretty slow on the draw on the E-520, a long delay as the mirror flips up, etc. Shooting with the viewfinder is very responsive.

Jim PM'd me to check this feature out on the E-620 and I plan to ask more about it. I'm also curious to see how big/bright the viewfinder is, how good, fast it is for action sequences when writing RAW files.

Jack

8. bmchugh

bmchugh Solo Diver

I can speak to the E-520 that I purchased from Jack that you can get at least 2 dives and 200 pictures on a single charge even with the flash going. I use live view a lot and love it, if you half press the shutter and get the focus completed the lag is not that bad. Shooting with the viewfinder is very fast. I shoot most of my fish pictures through the view finder and everything else with live view.

Brian

9. ce4jesus

ce4jesus Manta Ray

Well here's one that won't be keeping up with the Joneses. I went SP-350-E410-E520 all in about 3 years. I'm not sure there's enough benefit to jump from the E520 to the E610. I might wait for next year as Oly seems pretty aggressive about getting new cameras to market.

10. ce4jesus

ce4jesus Manta Ray

Not sure but with the E410 I could take somewhere around 300 shots per dive with the camera set to jpeg + RAW .... given my official air hog status that's smokin'. I haven't had the opportunity to melt the barrel down on my E520 as of yet.