E-620!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those not using live view I tested the E-410 battery, (same as the E-620) on two dives shooting raw, with the 50 macro and a tele converter (which uses power to focus) with the pop-up flash powering the TTL fiber optic connected external strobes. The strobe batteries dies before the camera battery and after being changed I ended up with 450 images before the red battery low light came on. I also do frequent reviews of the histogram on the LCD.

Phil Rudin

My question is: how many pictures can I expect to take with the camera running live view the entire time? Can I get two hours of photography and 150 pictures?

I want it to last for a two tank dive trip without having to crack the housing open on the boat.

I shoot an E-330. Using liveview and shooting as many images as I want, I get at least three hours on a charge ; usually 3.5 hours is about it unless I'm conservative. No reason to open the box on the boat.

Hey Phil,
Yes that was my experience as well. I found that the E410 battery outlasted the Inon Z240 batteries. On one particular day I did 3 dives with a 120 cu tank and at the end of the last dive the Inon batterys began to die but the E410 battery, though writing slower, was still fine.

Bad news is that I flooded my trusty 8080 Sunday.
So... I've decided to bite the bullet & order an E-620.
Let the steep learning curve begin :)
Rick

Cameras are out. Housings will be another couple of weeks. I am taking orders for both.

Great news is that Oly has an instant rebate for $100 off either the E620 body, or the E620/14-42 kit. Buy now as this ends the end of May!

Jack

The E620 and E620 + 14/42 kit have a $100 off instant rebate this month!
Cameras are shipping now, the housings RSN.

Jack

"Well here's one that won't be keeping up with the Joneses. I went SP-350-E410-E520 all in about 3 years. I'm not sure there's enough benefit to jump from the E520 to the E610. I might wait for next year as Oly seems pretty aggressive about getting new cameras to market."
Wow, Gary can I follow you around and pick up the droppings???:D

Got the camera and a couple of lenses; finally gave all my Nikon glass I've had packed away for nearly 2 decades waiting on the big Nikon upgrade to replace the broken F3 away (sniff!... see the tears?)
But-
when I started pricing taking the 620 underwater it sent me scurrying to ebay to see if I can replace the 8080 and use the housing I have.
:)
Rick

Hi Cheddar,

While I think the E-620/PT-E06 combo is going to be the best Olympus offering so far I'm not sure an upgrade from the E-520/PT-E05 offers will be large for most. The big upsides will be the larger viewfinder, art filters and multi image modes. The later two improvements have yet to be tested underwater so it remains to be seen if they will add much for U/W photographers. I am looking forward to trying these features when the housing is released.

Rick,

The big upgrade was the Nikon E-6, I let the E-3's go and went to the Nikonos RS for fifteen years. While I think the Olympus E-620/PT-E06 combo is still the most cost effective way to get a DSLR under water the 8080 is still a great tool for those on a budget or not making large numbers of photo dives every year.

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Back
Top Bottom