E-M1ii questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting post guys. I have just started using the 30mm and have had the 60mm for about 4 years. This resolves some of my issues with focus on the 60mm. The 60mm is more difficult to use than the 50mm I used on the old Oly.
Is anyone using C-Af with the EM5? I have tried it with bird photography and it struggles, which is kind of me, it is close to useless.

Like WWW, I love the 30mm lens, so easy to use and within its capabilities, more useful than the 60mm. Particularly if things are moving.
I use the 60mm mainly for Nudibranchs, and they don't move fast.

This is with the 60mm f16 1/250th and a +10 diopter. And I cropped the crap.
_6180049.jpg

Attachments

• _6170034.jpg
    _6170034.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 74
The 60 OLY is like the 120 on Canon even harder than the 100 on Canon so that is no surprise. I much prefer the Panasonic/Leica 45 mm for most macro.
Bill

The 60 OLY is like the 120 on Canon even harder than the 100 on Canon so that is no surprise. I much prefer the Panasonic/Leica 45 mm for most macro.
Bill
Hi Bill do you have some examples with this lens?

You need a different port for the 45mm macro. Any reviews I've seen on the lens emphasize that the AF is quite slow and hunts compared to the olympus 60mm. The 45mm needs the same port as either of the 30mm lenses.

The lens is shorter than the 60mm and sits further down the barrel, no problem you think, but the lens focuses at 1:1 150mm from the sensor plane which is only 30mm or so in front of the port glass, so you lose 20-30mm or working distance from the port making it harder to get in close.

Last edited:
I will post some this afternoon from our recent Anilao trip
Bill

Here are ome shots from the 45. anilao bw18.jpganilao 49.jpganilao bw18.jpganilao 49.jpganilao 44.jpg

The jelly is an immortal jellyfish shot on a black water dive, the costasiella was shot on a dichroic glass stage that I carry and the feather duster was shot on the reef.
Enjoy
Bill

Very nice Bill.

Two thoughts:

I have the flat port and the macro port. Which one works with the 45?

It also occurred to me that I DO have the 12-50 ED, but never set it to macro because I don't have the Nauticam housing and port with that feature. Would shooting that in the macro mode (43mm) be something to try as well. Would it work as good or better than 45mm Leica? It does focus to 8 inches in the macro mode, so pretty good.

And thanks everyone for the conversation. If you ever come to Grand Cayman, look me up, I am happy to show you around underwater.

the 12-50 when locked in macro mode without the dedicated gear/port ($$$) to allow you change to zoom mode gives a maximum magnification of 0.36x while the 45mm gives 1:1 or 1.0x and the 12-50 will only focus between 0.2 and 0.5m in macro mode. Without the dedicated port/gear from nauticam, you would do the whole dive with a 43mm lens that focuses between 0.2 and 0.5m.

So it is comparing apples to oranges really, it will work but is somewhat limiting. The 12-50 is also not the sharpest knife in the drawer any of the macro lenses will beat it well and truly for sharpness.

the 12-50 when locked in macro mode without the dedicated gear/port ($$$) to allow you change to zoom mode gives a maximum magnification of 0.36x while the 45mm gives 1:1 or 1.0x and the 12-50 will only focus between 0.2 and 0.5m in macro mode. Without the dedicated port/gear from nauticam, you would do the whole dive with a 43mm lens that focuses between 0.2 and 0.5m.

So it is comparing apples to oranges really, it will work but is somewhat limiting. The 12-50 is also not the sharpest knife in the drawer any of the macro lenses will beat it well and truly for sharpness.
I was assuming being stuck in macro mode. I only shoot macro when I do a particular dive so not a problem. Good foodback on the lens in that mode though. I am going to try and acquire a used 45mm Leica and try that lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom