E-PL1 and PT-EP01 Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops. This was probably an error by Adorama. They now sell the case for $399, the camera for $449 and the combo for $700. I did get a combo at the low price of $399, so they did honor the deal until someone woke up.

I had wanted a spare housing, because changing the port for a fisheye on the dive boat seemed risky. The port lock on this housing was not designed for easy swapping, as it requires a cross head screwdriver and maybe a strap wrench, and careful cleanliness and lubrication.

If you are shopping today, the E-PL5 with Oly housing is still a better choice. It costs more, sure (housing $800, camera $600). You get a much better camera and a somewhate better type II lens. Same clumsy port locking system though. I love my E-PL1, but 3 years is a long time in the camera business.

I saw this thread and acted. As a result, I now own the E-PL1 and housing for $399. Its a big step up from my SeaLife Mini II, so thanks for the tip!

Now I have a new dilemma. I have one of the SeaLife strobes. What I've learned in my short career as an underwater photographer is that in the murky waters of Monterey Bay CA, Two strobes and a focus light are required.

So, I have an Intova Super Nova, and that has a ball attachment for use as a focus light. Which leaves me with my dilemma.

Do I buy a matching SeaLife strobe and call my new rig complete OR do I wait until I can save up two grand to buy two really good strobes?

Thanks for the tip. Adorama is a wonderful vendor. I've purchased camera gear for my wife from them on many occasions. If this was a mistaken offer, they did not hesitate to fulfill the order. If it was a clearance offer, I'm still quite pleased.

I was saving up for an E-M5, but I'm thoroughly tempted to make this my underwater option...

It arrived yesterday at my brother's place in Atlanta (ordered on the 3rd). Turns out the 14-42 is the newer 14-42 II R

Interesting, that's good and bad. The newer model focuses better with slightly better optics, but doesn't have as powerful macro.

I assume it didn't come with the zoom ring? Did you order that separately?

Considering I'll also be using the cam to shoot my 9 week old daughter topside I'll take the faster focus over macro and deal with it.

I asked him, but I haven't heard back from my brother yet regarding the zoom ring. If it's not in there I will get one before having him send it all down to me. BTW that'd have to be the PPZR-EP02 ring for the 9-18 and not the PPZR-EP01 for the original 14-42, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom