E-PL1 and PT-EP01 Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woohoo! Finally ordered this on Sunday and it arrived today! Just in time for my trip to the Bahamas soon. Like others in this thread, the lens included is the 14-42 II version (separate retail package to go with the E-PL1 body kit). I'm glad to have the MKII lens also since it shares the zoom ring with the 9-18mm that I also own.

As my previous camera setup was a Sealife DC800, I've gotta say, this housing is big and hefty. It will certainly be a change and a bit of a challenge for me. I'm toying with the option of adding a small manual flash as well, but it might be a bit much for me at this point. If I get a chance, I'll do a pool test in the next month to practice. Any tips for getting adjusted to a larger, more advanced kit?

To my surprise, the EPL-1 and housing were actually pretty easy to manage underwater. With my strobe, the whole setup is only very slightly negative -- just enough not to float up over my shoulder when clipped off. I did find the setup annoying on land and while walking to the water, so I rigged up a piece of bungie to snug the end of the strobe arm up to the camera body for walking.

ok,

really really interested in ordering this package. i've rode my XZ-1 pretty hard over the last two years, and has served me well. thumbs up to oly's customer service.

Question:

im confused over which focus ring to order, namely if this is the new or old lens.

Can someone chime in which is appropriate, the PPZR-EP01 or the PPZR-EP02.

thx

chuck

Mine and at least someone else's have been the new II-R lens requiring the -02 ring that also works with the 9-18.

I jumped on this special, too. Will finally get a chance to try it out in Florida in a couple weeks.

Anyway, for Chuck and anyone else that's looking for the focus ring, uniquephoto.com has it for $26 with free shipping. Seemed like a much better price for a little piece of plastic than the $50 that most places are asking. I got mine with no problems, although they never sent an order confirmation or shipping email - it just showed up a few days after I ordered it.

James

Yep, I got my PPZR-EP02 separately from uniquephoto also. Looking forward to trying out this kit in Grand Bahama next week!

You may also want to consider the 'shading ring'. I have the 14-42 original version lens with POSR-EP01 shading ring. Another expensive piece of metal but its job is to prevent extraneous light from sneaking in around the lens perimeter.

grr,
sent an email to Adorama requesting clarification. Of course, i get conflicting info.

The rep states the following:

"The zoom gear in the link below is designed for the housing as well as the lens included in the kit.

Olympus PPZR-EP01 Zoom Gear for 14-42mm Lens 260291 "

The bad part is, i have more faith in what is stated on this board.

An understandable mistake on the rep's part, as the switch to the new version of the lens isn't noted anywhere on the E-PL1 product page. If you haven't already, look at the two reviews of the -01 ring on adorama's website - both state that the -02 is the correct version.

Yeah, I waited until I got my kit to confirm that it was the IIR version of the 14-42 since Adorama's page wasn't specific. Just order the zoom gear separately afterwards if you're worried--both adorama and uniquephoto ship quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom