E-PM1 w/ PT-EP06 housing? Good? Not good? Would you choose something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys-- a little help?

I sold my last camera rig (Ikelite housing & DS51 strobe, Canon G3) a while back basically because it was a surprisingly large package to carry on airplanes in addition to everything else; I only get a few good dive trips a year (I'm landlocked in Colorado), so I really wanted to replace it with something that was a) fairly easy to use since I don't get to practice underwater photography much (and therefore would end up becoming the entire focus of the dive) b) was compact and c) wouldn't break the bank, as underwater photography for me and my wife is more a "nice to do" rather than a serious hobby.

I came across a lightly used Olympus E-PM1 w/ waterproof Olympus PT-EP06 setup (no flash) and clip-on macro lens for $400 locally.

That seems a bit high (thoughts?) in comparison to some of the prices here on SB (which seem to trend about $300ish?), but when I tried to do some research, I've seen everything from "It's a great little underwater camera w/ fast focus and nice IQ" to "It's the worst thing I've ever used, has horrible lag times and it's IQ is a joke". Seriously-- some of the reviews are almost directly opposite. However, it does seem to have a reasonable aperture without having to get a separate fisheye lens (at least in comparison to the G-3) which is nice, but it's quite a bit older (7-8 years), so maybe it's "too" old? I don't need the shiniest and newest, but I do want something solid and dependable that I can use pretty much forever going forward.

Then, I saw the E-PL5 camera with the PT-EP10 housing. It was on closeout a while back, so maybe if I hold off, one will pop up? Would I be better off looking for something like that?

I really like the size of the Olympus rigs and the price is around what I'm looking at-- I figure I'd be into it for another $300-400 for a TTL strobe, tray and sync cord. That puts me about $800 as an out the door price, which is just about the edge of my budget. I've also used Olympus land camera's before and have been pleased with them (although I have more experience with Fuji & Panasonic for digital and Pentax & Minolta for 35mm).

So-- any suggestions on the E-PM1? Get it? Forget it? Wait for something else?

Suggestions on something else?

I'm headed to Palau next month, so this suddenly started a "WHY did you get rid of your camera?" discussion (let's call it that) with my wife. Not the end of the world if I don't have a camera, but it would be nice.

Thanks-- I was up all too late last night trying to research, and now I'm kind of shell-shocked on information overload.

R.

Last edited:
I don't think that price is bad at all. The size may not be what you are after. The actual camera housing isn't bad, but the lense port makes it a pain to pack. I don't like mine. Setting the WB is a pain in the arse. It may be you don't go that route then it should not be an issue. I've gotten some decent macro pics with the 60mm and a strobe.

Thanks! Good to know, since I just picked up a rig with this camera from a fellow SB member.

The E-PM1 is a nice basic camera. You could pick up a used spare camera as well for very little money. One way to save some money is to make your own tray and arms. I have used aluminum angles, epoxy, stainless steel hardware and polypropylene drain pipes to make several trays. The pipe joints let the sections slip to rotate your strobes. This is my Mk. VI pictured. I have since replaced the vertical piece with the long arm Olympus offers which clips into the top of their housings. This permits me to use the remote controller on my Ikelite strobe.

Attachments

• _9024774 copy.jpg
    _9024774 copy.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 74
I just picked up a complete E-PM1 rig with dual flashes, handles, tray, etc from a fellow member here for a very fair price.

Headed to Guam and Palau in two weeks to play!

R.

Back
Top Bottom