• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

eagle rays

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by diverokc, Dec 17, 2015.

1. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was bummed due to the lack of other afternoon divers I was hoping for 28, 'jake11' while Arizona is nice in the winter have you considered going back down during Carnival? I hope to be back then.

2. jake11

jake11 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

3. DjDiverDan

DjDiverDan Regular of the Pub

in Early December of 2014, i saw quite a few on the southern reefs, Columbia, Palancar Bricks, Palancar Gardens. There was one dive, can't remember exactly, where we saw 5 of them total, including a group of 3 together. In fact, for the last 3 December dive trips, December 2012, 2013, and 2014, we often saw at least 1 or 2 on dives in those areas. Many years ago, early 2000s (pre-Wilma), I had a dive on Santa Rosa Wall in January when there were a couple that came up from deep, soaring up the wall toward us before veering off.

4. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Years ago on a late April or early May dive on Colombia Deep we were all in single file swimming between a couple of pinnacles. Suddenly the DM banged his tank and pointed out ahead of us to the left. Out of the gloom came a lone eagle ray leisurely swimming (flying) in the opposite direction at the same depth as us. Being last in line I had the best angle, so I started finning slowly to the left until I got nearly directly in front of the ray. When he got close to me I stopped blowing bubbles. His left wingtip passed about six inches from my mask.

Of course I had no camera.

5. stevep4444

stevep4444 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    u

Hey Gopbroek, unless the Eagle Rays start disguising themselves as Lionfish and hiding in crevices and under ledges I doubt you ever see many.

cvchief likes this.
  6. MikeRiley

MikeRiley Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    i will just die if i see one. any of the swimming rays get me excited and I've yet to dive with them.
    and point taken; if I do see one, no chasing!