Eagles Nest Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crap

This dive site has a rather high death rate compare to other cave locations.

Close it down!!!!
Mount Everest has had nearly 300 climber deaths. Close it down!!!!

Divers die in Cozumel every year. Close it down!!!!

In the past couple of years, Eagles Nest has had several people die there. They include
  • A father and son who took new Christmas gear to a depth of more than 200 feet. The father was only OW certified. The son was not certified at all.
  • A man without cave training doing non-cave training in the cave had a heart attack.
  • Two very advanced divers were attempting an extremely difficult dive for which probably fewer than 0.02% of divers are qualified.
The initial reports suggest that this incident was the result of a medical event that had nothing to do with the cave--it could have happened on a Cozumel reef.

Both divers in this incident are friends and colleagues of mine. Moderator, may I ask you to move the off topic posts somewhere else, please?

Both divers in this incident are friends and colleagues of mine. Moderator, may I ask you to move the off topic posts somewhere else, please?

Sorry for your loss, David.

To get us back to a relevant A&I discussion, this article has the most information I've seen on the accident.

Of most relevance: "Gregg Bonert, who was with Brannon at Eagle’s Nest on Saturday, said this tragedy had nothing to do with a lack of experience or preparation. "People have a thing about how he was diving in the Eagle’s Nest and that can be very dangerous," Bonert said. "He had all the proper training and equipment. This was a fairly simple technical dive within his capacity. Something just went wrong."

Brannon died underwater, said Bonert, who then swam with his body to the surface. The cause of death should be known later this week, the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office said. The tragedy struck just as they entered what is known as the Ballroom, a cave about 70 feet down, which Bonert said they dive into routinely. As usual, they had no plans to go any deeper into the Eagle’s Nest, which has passages and caves as deep as 300 feet."

In sum, it seems doubtful there is much for us to learn here other than do your best to take care of and know your health (I don't mean to imply that the deceased didn't).

Word through the grapevine is an uncontrolled ascent from depth, impacting the roof of the cave at 60’. Buddy found him with his reg out of his mouth then his buddy sent him up through the solution tube to the surface.

Word through the grapevine is an uncontrolled ascent from depth, impacting the roof of the cave at 60’. Buddy found him with his reg out of his mouth then his buddy sent him up through the solution tube to the surface.

If that’s is true, were his dive weights still on / off him, when his dive buddy found him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom