Eagles Nest Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different people apparently have different sensitivities in their ears. I absolutely cannot tell during a decompression stop if I am gaining or losing depth from anything going on with my ears. Maybe it is because when I do decompression stops I am usually using a thick hood.

What does it feel like? A sort of inverse ear-clear?
When it happens to me, it's like a bubble of air moving from my ear to my throat. Feels physical, like something is actually moving through there. Same when ascending in a plane.

What does it feel like? A sort of inverse ear-clear?

you can feel outward pressure on your ear drums and usually "hear" the air coming back into your eustachian tubes. Think ascent on an airplane, driving up a mountain, etc. Full ascent in an airplane goes from ~1 to ~.75 ata, comparable to the ascent from about 10ft to the surface, 30ft to 15ft, 60 to 40ft, etc. You can feel the pressure change in smaller intervals than that, just as you equalize several times on the ascent in an airplane

edit: jynx to @Wookie

and @boulderjohn it usually takes about a 3-5ft difference for me to really notice in either direction with going down a bit more sensitive than up

Interesting. I feel nothing in an elevator or an airplane or diving, if ascending. Descending, yes, ascending, no. I also do not equalize easily while descending....so maybe that is part of it. I am seriously envious of those who can just swallow or move their jaw to equalize.

I am not clear what this has to do with things. The diver was fully cave certified and trimix certified. He was not in a class as far as I can tell. He was not doing a cavern dive.

There are no cavern dives at EN! My point was simply being trimix and full cave certified does not qualify one to dive EN. 100+ verified caves after certification is also required. It deeply saddens me that we have another death at this amazing site. I am out!

Last edited:
I understand letting your ears tell you if you are descending. But ascending? That would be unusual.

I hear a clicking/crackling sound in my ears when ascending. It is my first physical cue that I am not in control of my buoyancy when I am not paying attention...Oooh (big breath) look at the pretty fish...

When I'm in cold water I feel the warm water from my ears escaping out into my hood, which I can feel the warmth from. In warm water, I still feel I can feel the release of the warm water from my ears.

I sometimes get a bit of a squeak when ascending and on occasion I have been alerted by it though not recently. Once when I swam over my buddy and their bubbles sent me upwards and I took action and another time while sending a dsmb. Both of these times my log showed only a 5 foot rise. There may have been other times but I clearly remember those. I apologize for adding to this off topic tangent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom