Ear Equalization in a chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmmike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a question,

Several DM's and I where discussing the use of the decompression chamber. The topic of equalizing ear pressure came up. The question was, if you are unconscious how do your ears equalize when the chamber is taken to depth.

One of the instructers said that it would happen naturally, if this is so how does it happen?

Thanks
dmmike

I have been told by my neighbor who is a commercial diver that they use these little rings with small needles on them to pop your ears for you, I have no idea if this is true or not, but it does not sound pleasent. He says he has had this done to him before, and that the reason he is almost deaf is because of this procedure and his many chamber rides.

I doubt it would happen naturally. Even the slow absorption of oxygen after breathing 100% as a tactical jet pilot would cause fluid and pain in the middle ear when sleeping during the process, while it was easy to avoid by regular equalization techniques when awake.
I suspect that chamber medical personel can monitor the eardrum for distension and manually open the eustacian tubes if required. In a one-man chamber with an unconscious patient it's a Hobson's choice.
Rick

At the courses I have attended, this question came up.

The answer the Pros gave is that with an unconscious diver the eardrums were a small part of the overall picture and speed was important.

It is certainly possible to do a tympanotomy with a needle by someone trained in the technique, but often the more urgent consideration is that time equals Brain cells, and the ear lancing is not done.

Certainly placing a hole in the eardrum blindly or in a hurry or without training is more dangerous than letting them rupture or equalize on their own.

Hopefully, none of us will ever face the sort of situation where this decision has to be made.

Keep the bubbles in the water and not in your bloodstream,

John Reinertson

Thanks to all for your time and your thoughts.

dmmike

During my instructor course, we were taken to visit in Eilat's chamber. It's a very busy chamber (over 200 DCS treatments a year). I asked the chamber operator what they do in such a case and he said, that with an unconciounce patient, the only thing to do is to perforate the ear with a niddle, and in extremly urgent cases, not even that. When saving someone's life, ear popping is a small question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom