• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ear Infection Causing Vertigo

Discussion in 'Diving Medicine' started by Ghattas, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Ghattas

Ghattas Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks for sharing. The experience in your linked thread sounds very similar to mine, but yours is more severe (thankfully, no nausea and vomiting on my end so far).

2. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Not sure any provider would say “sure go ahead and dive” but maybe @doctormike could give you some advice.

3. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Not me! Sorry, always happy to help as best as I can, but I really can't "clear" you over the Internet...

The bottom line is that viral labrynthitis is exactly what you said - a diagnosis of exclusion. Assuming that a full workup has excluded other causes of vertigo, and assuming that you are back to normal with no difficult equalizing, the history of vertigo alone doesn't mean that you can never dive again.

Ghattas and uncfnp like this.
  4. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    G...

Wouldn't comment...

After the initial onset...it was ten months before I dove again...I was thankful it was the end of ''my'' season...there were brief periods in the first 4/6 months where standing was challenging...

It would disappear for weeks at a time...and I thought to myself...thank God...it's finally gone...and then it would come back with a vengeance...

I was prescribed a medication by my family physician...but stopped taking it...on the advise of the ENT...who advised...it would run its course lika any ''virus'' and disappear...which it did...

Best...

Warren

Ghattas likes this.
  5. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Ghattas ,

I wouldn't risk it. Vertigo under water not something you want to go through.

It's interesting that he diagnosed inner ear infection vs. BPPV like @uncfnp mentioned. Did he explain how he ruled out BPPV?

Best regards,
    DDM

6. Ghattas

Ghattas Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks for your message. He did not go through his thought process. I did a bit of googling myself and tried the maneuvers that would supposedly get rid of BPPV but without much success.

Duke Dive Medicine likes this.