Ear injury....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockhound

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a fairly experienced diver, with several hundred dives. I've never had a problem equalizing or a diving related ear injury.

For two weeks ending this weekend, I was in Panama City, FL, camping with my family, and diving whenever I could fit it into the schedule. Early in the week, I made several scuba dives without incident and can recall no problems with my ears.

Late one afternoon at the end of that week, I went out to the end of the St. Andrews Jetties with just my mask and snorkel, hoping to swim with the dolphins that came in there late every evening.

While waiting for the dolphins, I looked down at the bottom, 30 feet below, and deciding to make a pass along the the sand to look for rays. I don't recall any discomfort on my descent, but I do recall having difficulty in equalizing on my way down.

Shortly after this breathhold dive, I noticed my hearing was muffled and my right ear felt "full". I also picked up a distinct ringing sound or tinnitus in that ear, which I have never experienced.

(the dolphins came, btw, and it was great!).

Because I could still easily clear my ears, I continued to scuba dive the rest of the week. I had no ear pain or problems with equalizing after my breathold episode, and the tinnitus disappeared whenever my head was under water.

But now, almost a week later, I still have fullness in my ear and that annoying ringing sound. My guess is that my high frequency hearing is gone too, since I can hear the difference between my left and right ears.

I have an appt. this afternoon with an ENT, but I wondered what you guys might have thought happened? Did I overequalize on descent? Could I have ruptured my Oval Window (egads)? I don't recall any vertigo or other symptoms related to an oval window rupture, but I also want to go diving next week and I'm worried about what damage might have been done and about the ENT saying "No diving".

Thanks!

Howdy Ricky:

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. If you've followed posts in this section, you know that no one can give out individual medical advice here, and now I guess it's obvious that you shouldn't come here looking for urgent medical advice either. (grin)

Bill

Ricky,

Please let us know how you progress and how soon your hearing returns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom