Ear issue even in very shallow water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also had significant problems with re-descending, especially if it's the second or third dive of the day, or we have spent a lot of time wandering up and down in the shallows. (I've had to get out of the pool while teaching, because I simply couldn't equalize any more.). I think, even when we equalize early and often, there is still minor barotrauma that occurs and can be cumulative over a dive or dives.

When diving in shallow water and you are changing depths in a days time can definetly have an effect on your ears like barotrauma. I believe it is due to the fact that since we do not hold our breath and are more relaxed our ears do not equalize the same as a free diver would. Which is why it is best to try to minimize the varying up and down type of diving. This creates stress on the ears which can eventually lead to barotrauma injury. It is a good thing to remember when scuba diving in shallow water. Best thing is to stay at certain depth an avoid going up and down as much as possible, IMO.

Two things remedies any issues I had with equalization. The first was a tip someone gave me and that is to fill my cheeks with air before I blow into the pinched nose. I have no idea why this works but if I "puff up" my cheeks first I can equalize quite easily. The second thing was going to a wrist mounted computer (a Petrel). Descending in horizontal trim while watching my computer showed me I was typically descending too fast. Seeing the rate of descent staring at me prompted me to slow down and that, in turn, allowed my ears more time to adjust. These days I just clench my jaw and "pop" ...no nose pinch needed.

I HAVE THE EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM FOR A GOOD FEW YEARS NOW.... few days ago I was swimming with my kids and having this really annoying problem when going down 2-3 feet of water..... Were you able to find a solution for your problem???? Pleaaaaaase let me know if you did.... Thanks and have a great weekend!
Taylor

I am back on taking this issue very seriously in trying to find a solution. It has nothing to do with equalizing in my opinion as it happens in water so shallow that its not logical or practical to equalize, like ducking under a wave at the beach. Something is still causing my ear to simply "blow out" the moment i go underwater then allowing water to rush in. I know this sounds like a ruptured ear drum, however ENT cant find such rupture and says even if it is "it will heal on its own at the most in 6 months" Well i haven's swam in 2 years, then last week at the beach, under one wave a boom, there goes ear, the pain is excruciating, like someone is jabbing a needle through my ear, and then a vertigo attack to top it off. Please help S.O.S.

As TSand M said in post #7, you are not getting a lot of good advice because your symptoms are so very unusual. I have taught introductory scuba lessons to many hundreds of students, and I have a lot of experience teaching them to equalize. I have never encountered anything like what you are describing, and I am at a loss to give you any advice.

What I will do is move this thread to our Dive Medicine forum where it is more likely to get the attention of our fine staff of medical moderators. These are physicians who are also divers. TSandM is one of them, but there are others. I will also put a moderator note in the first post so that anyone coming to it new will know that although this is an old thread, the problem is still ongoing.

Good luck!

I have been a swimmer all my life im 27 and for the last few years i have been experiencing problems every time i go under water 2 feet or more. I am not a scuba diver although i used to be able to dive about 20 feet or so while snorkeling. But now whenever i attempt to go under water my right ear has a sudden realease of pressure which i can both hear and feel and then i have sudden pain and the sensation of water in my ear. Sounds like a ruptured or preforated ear drum, but every time this has happened i have gone to an ENT and they have said that i am fine. They even performed a pressure test one time because i refused for them to tell me i was fine by just looking at my ear and the test came out clear. They say give it a couple of months and you will be fine so i gave my ear 10 months with the only water exposure in my shower and then i swam down two feet and right away the same problem! Im trying to figure out whats my next move because its heartbreaking fro me not to be able to swim, surf, snorkle, and hopefully dive one day. Has anyone experienced an issue like this or know whats my best plan of action to take? Thanks so much for reading!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This old thread was recently revived, and the original poster has returned (post 23) to explain that the problem is not only still ongoing, it has gotten worse. I moved it to the Diving Medicine forum in the hope that one or more of our participating physicians can help.

Have you ever found a solution to this? I think I have the same issue. I'm curious, though, if it feels to you like there is actually water passing through your eardrum. For me, it almost seems like I can taste the salt water through my sinuses and it leaves me with a nauseous feeling. Perhaps even a vertigo type feeling, but not severe enough to cause balance issues. I also went to a doctor who told me there appeared to be a little redness so he gave me a prescription for some ear infection drops. They did nothing at all for the issue. I've been a diver (scuba and free) since I was 4 and know how to equalize, so that's not the issue. In fact, the affected ear seems to equalize with very little effort and it feels like all my equalizing pressure is merely escaping from that ear thus not allowing the other ear to clear. To clear the other ear, I have to press on the affected ear. Ear plugs have helped keep the water from causing the pain/discomfort, but I wasn't sure about diving with them so haven't been more than 3-4 feet down with them. I did order some Proplugs from comments on this thread so will give those a try, but would rather solve the actual problem. Did you get anywhere with this?

Have you ever tried to clear your ears while on land? If so what occurred?

If one ear isn't as easy to clear as the other, put the recalcitrant ear up higher in the water column than the cleared ear by turning your head that way or even turning your whole body on it's side. Pull your earlobe down at the same time stretch out your neck under the ear, and try again to equalize that ear.

Practicing equalization while on land keeps the ears flexible too. They're used to being equalized and should be easier to equalize whilst diving. If you know how to equalize your ears on an airplane, that's the way to do it on land. Do it every time you think of it until it becomes a natural part of your average day.

On diving days, clear when you get up, over breakfast, on your way to the boat/shore and immediately before immersion.

I am back on taking this issue very seriously in trying to find a solution. It has nothing to do with equalizing in my opinion as it happens in water so shallow that its not logical or practical to equalize, like ducking under a wave at the beach. Something is still causing my ear to simply "blow out" the moment i go underwater then allowing water to rush in. I know this sounds like a ruptured ear drum, however ENT cant find such rupture and says even if it is "it will heal on its own at the most in 6 months" Well i haven's swam in 2 years, then last week at the beach, under one wave a boom, there goes ear, the pain is excruciating, like someone is jabbing a needle through my ear, and then a vertigo attack to top it off. Please help S.O.S.

Why can't you wear earplugs while surfing then or swimming on the beach, if all you need is to duck under 2-3' waves?

I have been a swimmer all my life im 27 and for the last few years i have been experiencing problems every time i go under water 2 feet or more. I am not a scuba diver although i used to be able to dive about 20 feet or so while snorkeling. But now whenever i attempt to go under water my right ear has a sudden realease of pressure which i can both hear and feel and then i have sudden pain and the sensation of water in my ear. Sounds like a ruptured or preforated ear drum, but every time this has happened i have gone to an ENT and they have said that i am fine. They even performed a pressure test one time because i refused for them to tell me i was fine by just looking at my ear and the test came out clear. They say give it a couple of months and you will be fine so i gave my ear 10 months with the only water exposure in my shower and then i swam down two feet and right away the same problem! Im trying to figure out whats my next move because its heartbreaking fro me not to be able to swim, surf, snorkle, and hopefully dive one day. Has anyone experienced an issue like this or know whats my best plan of action to take? Thanks so much for reading!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This old thread was recently revived, and the original poster has returned (post 23) to explain that the problem is not only still ongoing, it has gotten worse. I moved it to the Diving Medicine forum in the hope that one or more of our participating physicians can help.

I realize that this is a very old thread and that this is a long shot, but I have looked all over the internet and found nothing solid. I've been having this exact issue for a couple months now (can't go under the surface more than a few inches without feeling like I'm blowing out my ear) and wondered if you figured out what the issue is or if anyone else with similar symptoms figure it out.

I've seen one ENT and am likely going to another soon, but this seems like a pretty unusual thing, and it would be nice to have some info before hand.

Help! I have a very similar problem too!

So, I'm not a diver but I used to surf a bit. I also used to get ear infections and perforated ear drums as a kid (particularly in my left ear). I had a hole in my ear drum for a number of years. I've recently had two operations to repair the hole and I was given the all clear by ENT recently. They performed the air pressure test on my repaired drum and said it's fine.

Now, for the first time since the operation, I put my head under the water in the bath. With my head tipped back lying on my back it felt fine. I turned on to my right side and dropped my head under water again. I then felt like I needed to equalise, so I did. At this point I got an immediate pain in my left ear (the repaired ear). It feels like there is water behind the drum, but we know that's not possible because the drum is air tight.

If previous experience is anything to go by, my ear will now be sore for anywhere between a few hours and a couple of months (yes, months!).

Help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom