• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ear problem, Tinnitus & Buzzing - Never Diving Again

Discussion in 'Diving Medicine Q&A' started by Oezkan, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Angelo Farina

Angelo Farina Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Sorry of your new problems. Give time to the infection and inflammation to fade out.
    Did you take time and effort for learning proper equalization techniques, instead of the deprecated Valsalva?
    In my experience as an instructor, i have seen hundredths of cases of equalization problems, and often of related medical outcomes.
    These never happened to people mastering proper efficient equalization techniques, such as BTV, Frenzel or Marcante-Odaglia. All problems I have seen were always associated with the Valsalva manouvre. That is the reason for which I insist so much on the topic of learning a proper equalization technique...
    And of course to avoid diving when there is some obstruction, due to mucus, a cold, inflammation, seasonal allergy, etc.

2. Oezkan

Oezkan Registered

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Hey thanks for your answer. I actually was thinking the same a lot the recent weeks. I think with another equalization method I would have less or no problems. But I must can't use another. The instructor cannot either so he couldn't help. And if I read about frenzel I don't understand it. Pinching nose and swallow pops my ears out of water but as soon as I try I'm the water it doesn't work either. And the biggest issue and fear I got with my history is the testing. If I try a new method while diving and it doesn't work it could lead to new problems or barotrauma.

Any advice on which method I can use and a good and easy explanation how to do so?

3. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
  4. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

5. DanBMW

DanBMW Solo Diver

Just an FYI-Never try to push through the pain.... It's not the fate of the free world....When you feel discomfort, stop at that depth and go through all of your different methods of equalizing, maybe go up a little, but never push through it. Sometimes there are reasons why you body is telling you to not go deeper. Listen to the signals.

wnissen likes this.
  6. Oezkan

Oezkan Registered

OK guys. Infection is fine and even the tinnitus in the right ear. So gp was right, an infection can cause temporarily tinnitus too.

Anywas I finally learned the frenzel equalization after trying and learning it for like 3 hours every day in the last week. So far it works good and even easy. Sometimes even handsfree.

But the pressure in my ear from frenzel feels way stronger than from val salva! Is that not bad as over-pressering or retiring it is more likely?

I only tried the frenzel dry so far and tomorrow I gonna try it in the water. Hope it works with regulator on mouth.

My concern also is that when I do it I hold my breath for a second because the glottis needs to be closed. So I'd break the most important scuba rule..

7. Ucarkus

Ucarkus Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Normally you are descending when equalizing, so this is not a problem if you close your glottis momentarily.

You need to throttle it if you feel it is too strong. But generally there is an inherent limit how much air you can push with your tongue vs your abdominal muscles. Additionally with Frenzel usually muscles will tense the eustachian tubes open, so it is more effective and even small push might feel more than valsalva.

8. Oezkan

Oezkan Registered

OK amazing that's for the information. Not sure how I throttle it though but il try. I also can the toynbee now with a little air in nose. I think that's way more healthy but I don't think I can collect spit while diving or it takes ages

9. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've had buzzing in my ears after multiple dives for days on end. I use swimmers ear drops after the dive and that seems to get results for me.

10. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

Glad this works for you, and might be reasonable to try if there's water in the ear and that's what is producing the noise. Buzzing could be categorized as tinnitus, and for the general readership, inner ear barotrauma and inner ear DCS can also produce tinnitus, so your mileage may vary.

Best regards,
    DDM

Scuba Client likes this.