Ear Protection when Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm deaf, and my hearing aid is a behind-the-ear model with a solid ear silicon mould with no vent tube. This means when I come out of the water and dry my hair and head enough to insert my hearing aid, water is trapped behind the mould and is unable to dry out until I remove the mould at home when I go to bed.

During my early training and OW dives I had constant problems with sore ears relating to water in the ear and the damp was just perfect for infections. During AOW the doctor gave me some pharmacy only over-the-counter ear drops. Brand name Vosol.

Since using those before and after dives I've had no problems relating to wet ears or trapped water in the ear canal.

The ingredients list has Propylene Glycol and Acetic acid as the active ingredients. Glycol absorbs moisture, sopping up the water and holding it and the acetic acid is purified vinegar which is antibacterial and antifungal.

I can recommend it wholeheartedly if you have it over there.

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 28 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.
All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe
1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough
White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.

I just bought Earol. It's a mixture of olive and eucalyptus oils (eucalyptus being anti bacterial)
I'm going to use it tomorrow so I'll post how it goes.

I just bought Earol. It's a mixture of olive and eucalyptus oils (eucalyptus being anti bacterial)

I would think you need something with alcohal in it to dry the water. Take my using what I posted for 30 years without a problem as proof that it works. I'm 69 and in the last 3 days have made 10 dives, without a problem. Plus it's cheap to mix. Good luck..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I would think you need something with alcohal in it to dry the water. Take my using what I posted for 30 years without a problem as proof that it works. I'm 69 and in the last 3 days have made 10 dives, without a problem. Plus it's cheap to mix. Good luck..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I don't doubt you at all. But I've only just bought the Earol so I should at least give it a try. :wink:

i just use the 70% alcohol from the parmacy..after the dive,a few drops in the ear,then let it out,no waiting 5 minutes....
if i donot do this,especially in muck-diving or dirty water,i will get infections....
if i forgot to buy the alcohol,i use mineral water just to put fresh water in the ear,as a wash....
never tried the vinegar mix thing...

I have had my fair share of ear problems over the past couple of years, I also bought Earol with Tea Tree Oil, I guess it is the same thing. The olive oil in it is hydrophobic and repels the water apparently, I used it yesterday along with my "dry" ear mask, which is never 100% unless I have had a recent haircut

GSS_2894C.jpg

Even using 50% Alcohol 50% Acetic acid mix during my last Philippines dive trip in April I ended up with an ear infection on Day 4

Now I am all belts and braces, although I did 9 dives over 4 days last month with the new mask and had no issues, so with the Earol, I hope that I can manage a weeks diving in November back at Puerto Galera.

Back
Top Bottom