Ear Protection when Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think you need something with alcohal in it to dry the water. Take my using what I posted for 30 years without a problem as proof that it works. I'm 69 and in the last 3 days have made 10 dives, without a problem. Plus it's cheap to mix. Good luck..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
After using Earol I now seem to have a dose of Labyrinthitis - I suspect from water trapped in my ear/infection etc...
I will be trying your solution when next I dive.

If you can get the Doc's Proplugs, you won't have problems with ear infections anymore. One year (about 4 years ago) I had 4 ear infections. Then I started using the proplugs, and haven't had one since.

+1 for Pro Ear mask. Looks a bit odd but does the trick for the wife and about half a dozen instructors I have worked with previously.

I for one wouldn't feel comfortable with buds inside my ears.

+1 for Pro Ear mask. Looks a bit odd but does the trick for the wife and about half a dozen instructors I have worked with previously.

I for one wouldn't feel comfortable with buds inside my ears.

Perhaps you should try them? I wouldn't call them buds. They are more like a fitted earplug, similar to in-ear monitors (for music) or a hearing aid. They are quite comfortable, and they make 8 different sizes to fit most ears comfortably.

The Pro-ear mask is working great for me... I had sooooooooooooooo many ear-infection problems before using it, and now, it's gone.
I also use boric alcohol if I feel anything unusual and it's also really efficient, 5 min in the ear (or both if needed).

My last ear infection was... sometime in 2010. When before, it was every 3 months (and I started boric alcohol) and before that, I had a time of 1 week with ear infection, 1 week without, 1 week with, 1 week without...
I did see ear doctor, diving doctor and tutti quanti, everything is perfectly normal in my ears...

So I'm so happy with the pro-ear mask.:yeahbaby:
Yeah yeah, it looks a bit weird, but hey, at least I'm sure my students recognize me underwater :wink:

It might take a while to get use to it, though...

I use a solution of about 50% white vinegar and 50% alcohol (drugstore type.... sorry I forget the usual strength off-hand). I keep this mixture in a dropper bottle and then after diving and showering (or just rinsing ear in fresh water) I lie down, fill one ear with the solution, set a timer for 5 minutes, then turn over and repeat on the other side.

I read this in a medical book aimed for sailors (who would be swimming often in the tropics). I can't say what would have happened if I had not used it, but with using it conscientiously, neither my buddy nor I have had any ear problems. And that included months of often-daily snorkeling in the tropics.

Blue Sparkle

PS: As I understand it, the vinegar kills the nasties and the alcohol helps dry your ear canal. Also, it was stressed that 5 full minutes were necessary/each ear.

PPS: I just remembered that I have heard of some people using an ear dryer. One person I know of uses one called the Sahara DryEar. It's sort of like a little mini hair-dryer that fits into your ear.

My doc told me the same after my first ear infection - same chemicals, same %'s. So the dropper bottle with $.02 worth of solutions works wonders for me, though I use it right after my last dive religiously. Makes eating a sandwich at the same time a bit hard, but ah well, I can manage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom