Ear Trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did use ear beer (well, premixed swimmers ear drops of alcohol and glycerin). I do not think this is a factor as I have no symptoms of an outer ear infection.

As for being stuck, I'm currently on the beach in Cozumel. There are worse places to be stuck. DAN has agreed to cover any costs until the doctor gives me the okay to fly.

Did I mention how awesome the folks at DAN are? Seriously appreciating them right now.

Did you see the doctor on Calle 6 Norte, where they have the hyperbaric chamber with the fishes painted on it? My girlfriend seems to be making a visit there an annual event. Last year we stayed a block away from there so it was very convenient for us. :wink: I can't think of her name off-hand, but I think the doctor my GF saw was the assistant and we were very impressed both times. She wrote a prescription and sent us off to Farmacia Ahorro. The taxi driver, Rafael, was great and even waited for us and went in with us and made sure we got the right stuff and the best price. :) She missed most of her dives from Cozumel but was OK to dive five days later at Isla Mujeres. I'm not sure exactly what her diagnosis was but she was bleeding from her nose and could not equalize. I think her prescriptions included prednisone, antibiotics, Afrin nasal spray, and an oral decongestant.

We did not dive los cenotes but this happened to her two years in a row on Cozumel but has not happened other places. Now you have me wondering...

Did you see the doctor on Calle 6 Norte, where they have the hyperbaric chamber with the fishes painted on it?

Different place, I went to see Dr. Dario Gomez at CostaMed. Very nice people and impressive facility. (Alert Diver | A New Chamber in Cozumel)

Cozumel was a nice place to relax even if I couldn't enjoy the diving. I'll definitely be heading back some time soon, but hoping the doctor visit doesn't become a regular event.

Our VRBO landlord took us to this place, but both doctors seem to be VERY highly regarded:

DR. PASCUAL PICCOLO
24 HRS TOURIST MEDICAL SERVICES, DIVING MEDICINE
Located in Médica San Miguel 6th Street north #135 between 5th & 10th Ave. 987-872-3070 www.medicasanmiguel.com

I felt like I was talking to one of the foremost dive doctors on the planet, and she was only the assistant.

Best of luck with your recovery. Cozumel is a great place to be but it's bummer not being able to dive while there.

Different place, I went to see Dr. Dario Gomez at CostaMed. Very nice people and impressive facility. (Alert Diver | A New Chamber in Cozumel)

Cozumel was a nice place to relax even if I couldn't enjoy the diving. I'll definitely be heading back some time soon, but hoping the doctor visit doesn't become a regular event.

That facility is quite impressive and it's great to know it's there :)

I did use ear beer (well, premixed swimmers ear drops of alcohol and glycerin). I do not think this is a factor as I have no symptoms of an outer ear infection.

As for being stuck, I'm currently on the beach in Cozumel. There are worse places to be stuck. DAN has agreed to cover any costs until the doctor gives me the okay to fly.

Did I mention how awesome the folks at DAN are? Seriously appreciating them right now.
So sorry that you had that happen. I can relate!! I had a close call. I went on one regular non-deep dive in Cozumel and that was it! My ear went bad, couldn't equalize, disorientated, bloody nose, etc. I went to the ear doctor that night since I was pretty scared that I had damaged my ear. Good thing I went. Dr. Viridiana Arroyo at the medical center a few blocks from the boardwalk. If Ii had continued to dive I probably would have ruptured my eardrum as well. I was miserable at the thought of not being able to dive the remainder of our stay in Coz but........ I took all the meds she prescribed and was able to dive in Isla Mujeres a week later. It's the second time I've gone to her. The first time the problem wasn't an inner ear problem but the second time it was and she seriously warned me not to dive for a week. She is fabulous. The doctor that founded the clinic and hospital is world famous as a "dive doctor" so I'm not surprised at the great care. They have a decompression chamber for folks that weren't as lucky as you and I have been. You will have to wait a few months but should be able to dive again.:)

Our VRBO landlord took us to this place, but both doctors seem to be VERY highly regarded:

DR. PASCUAL PICCOLO
24 HRS TOURIST MEDICAL SERVICES, DIVING MEDICINE
Located in Médica San Miguel 6th Street north #135 between 5th & 10th Ave. 987-872-3070 www.medicasanmiguel.com

I felt like I was talking to one of the foremost dive doctors on the planet, and she was only the assistant.

Best of luck with your recovery. Cozumel is a great place to be but it's bummer not being able to dive while there.
Dr. Viridiana Arroyo helped us when my ear went bad. Not expensive and I could followup with her via phone or email when I had questions or concerns. Fabulous clinic!

It's been a little while but I wanted to post a final update. I saw the doctor this morning and my ear is 100% healed. I've been symptom free for at least a week or more, and the doctor agreed that all looks good and I can go back in the water. Happy news!

He recommended topical nasal steroids as a future preventative measure (Rhinocort, with daily use a starting a couple weeks before any fresh water dive trip). He also mentioned that one likely reason why I'm seeing problems in caves but nowhere else is because of the fresh water itself. Fresh water is more likely to cause sinus swelling because the salinity of the body is higher than the surroundings. Salt water has the opposite effect. So maybe I can blame some of the no mask drills as a contributing factor, but not for bacterial reasons.

Anyhow, an interesting fact I had not considered, and I thought it was worth sharing. Hopefully I can avoid repeating this experience on a future trip. :)

Good news and dive safe....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom