Ear Wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've has some problem with equalizing my ears. I usually have to hang out for awhile at 10-15 feet. I only have 8 dives and have been told this problem usually gets better with experience. I feel bad when other divers have to wait for me. My sister had some ear problems awhile back and went to the doctor. The doctor did something to remove ear wax and she was absolutely shocked at how much ear wax came out. I'm thinking I should try something like this. My question is this. Does anyone know of something I can buy that cleans out ear wax without going to the doctor? Evidently people who use q tips a lot can have ear wax problems because it just pushes some of the wax further into the ear. I'm thinking if I can give my ears a good cleaning that it will be easier to equalize. I also have problems with water in my ears for up to four or five days after I dive.

@utediver: Please read this thread on Earwax Removal. I think you'll find it helpful.

There are several very effective over-the-counter products which remove earwax. Any drug store should carry them.

You might want to try different methods of equalization. Pinching-the-nose-and-gently-blowing doesn't work for me. I prefer using the lower-jaw-thrust method. There are several other methods out there. A search on ScubaBoard should give you a few tips.

Good luck with your equalization problems...

Walgreens and CVS have ear wax removal kits you can buy. I have a problem with ear wax buildup and have to do this every so often.

I always use a little hydrogen peroxide in the ear canals a couple times before each dive trip. Once about three weeks out and again one week out. Use bulb type syringe to gently blow out loosened up wax.

Once, had ENT use small suction vac on ear canal and I too was amazed at what came out. ENT recommended the hydrogen peroxide routine to me.

Equalizing does get easier with experience but clean ear canals certainly help.

There are swimmer's ear drops from any Rx you can use after a dive that quickly eliminate standing water in the ears.

Always tell the DM prior to diving that you are slow to equalize and they are happy to accommodate you. Prevents unnecessary worry for everyone.

I have ear wax problem and got one of the removal kits from CVS. They work pretty good. Do NOT use Q-Tips, from my own experience. I pushed a Q-Tip through my ear drum!!!! Man it hurts... The emergency room doctor did not feel sorry. He asked me if my mother didn't tell me NOT to put anything smaller than my elbow into my ear!!! Then you are not diving for awhile while it heals.

I'd recommend warm water over peroxide but a doctor over either as your "problem" may not have anything at all to do with ear wax, it might just be you or your technique. A doctor will, if nothing else, can tell you if you have a physical reason why it's difficult for you to equalize - including excess ear wax; otherwise your just playing "poke and hope".

As to ear wax removal methods: I once had an ear problem diving while snorkeling. I didn't go the doc then but a month later saw an MD for a cursory physical. He said I had a lot of wax in one ear and to flush it out with warm water, using a baby syringe - not sticking it inside - and using pretty warm but comfortable water. On the third squirt a "gigantic" 1/4" ball of wax came out, I was amazed at the size of the thing (sorry if that's too gross). Anyway, the point is - water works. If you use the peroxide, I've read no to do it more than once in a week and not every week. The wax is there to trap dirt and too clean/dry isn't good either.
Good luck.

I've has some problem with equalizing my ears. I usually have to hang out for awhile at 10-15 feet. I only have 8 dives and have been told this problem usually gets better with experience. I feel bad when other divers have to wait for me. My sister had some ear problems awhile back and went to the doctor. The doctor did something to remove ear wax and she was absolutely shocked at how much ear wax came out. I'm thinking I should try something like this. My question is this. Does anyone know of something I can buy that cleans out ear wax without going to the doctor? Evidently people who use q tips a lot can have ear wax problems because it just pushes some of the wax further into the ear. I'm thinking if I can give my ears a good cleaning that it will be easier to equalize. I also have problems with water in my ears for up to four or five days after I dive.

Hmm///! Don't use q tips! You can get these ear scoop things...but get someone else to do it! You Don't wanna go furher in..! Go to the doctors...see what they say :)

Before I started diving I used a product called Earrigate (sp?) that I picked up from the drug store. It's just like what the docs use (they typically use warm water and shoot it into the ear and it flushes all of the gunk out) but it comes in a can and you can do it over your sink. It is cold and shocks you a little but it was by far the safest and most effective thing I've used over the counter. Just tilt your head (with the ear you're going to clean down), shoot a couple of bursts into your ear and it knocks all of the gunk loose and it flushes out. Good stuff!

Stay away from ear candles. They don't work and can damage your ear!

You've gotten very good advice on earwax removal, but I'm going to give you the bad news: Ear wax has nothing to do with one's ability to equalize. All the structures involved in equalizing are on the other side of the eardrum . . . You might benefit from watching THIS video on the diver's ear (warning, it's long) and in reading THIS article on equalization -- the freedivers really think about this!

Back
Top Bottom