Early morning swimmer bitten by shark at Shelley Beach, Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John the Pom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the many reasons not to go swimming in the pitch dark! Shelley beach is a popular diving and snorkelling spot. The curious thing is that I've only ever seen small sharks there, apart from wobbegongs. The story I heard from someone in the surf club was that he had bite marks characteristic of quite a large shark.

Sydney man injured in suspected shark attack at Manly beach

The normal sharks seen here are dusky whalers, juveniles only, quite small, only there seasonally. I dived there a few weeks back, at least 20 around. I used to dive there at night but not now as I live on the opposite side of the city than I did before.

I heard a shark expert claim that the bite was from a grey nurse shark (sand tiger), a totally non-dangerous shark. I have never seen one there. Dusky whaler teeth are more like great white in shape while grey nurse teeth are long and skinny, not cutting like. So therefore I assume that the claim is correct. The injuries were said to be superficial. Certainly not a bright thing to be swimming in the dark at a location where it is known there are many sharks at this time of the year.

The normal sharks seen here are dusky whalers, juveniles only, quite small, only there seasonally. I dived there a few weeks back, at least 20 around. I used to dive there at night but not now as I live on the opposite side of the city than I did before.

I heard a shark expert claim that the bite was from a grey nurse shark (sand tiger), a totally non-dangerous shark. I have never seen one there. Dusky whaler teeth are more like great white in shape while grey nurse teeth are long and skinny, not cutting like. So therefore I assume that the claim is correct. The injuries were said to be superficial. Certainly not a bright thing to be swimming in the dark at a location where it is known there are many sharks at this time of the year.
I've seen Grey Nurse sharks there, but only fairly small juveniles. My source tells me that the bite, though superficial, encompassed both sides of his torso - so quite a large shark. I've never heard of a bite like that from a Grey Nurse, but as you say the teeth would be fairly characteristic. All I can think is that he collided with it in the dark and it was a defensive bite - who knows?

I've done night dives, and I've swum in the harbour and ocean at night. I would say that night diving is a lot safer!
Well, when you are diving, even in the dark, you have a lot more awareness of the situation around you. I've dived in the dark with sharks, and I never felt uncomfortable. Swimming on the surface without a mask is something else. I used to regularly swim in the harbour after work in the evening, in the dark. I loved it. One night I was cruising happily along when thump! something big and heavy crashed into me under that water. My heart rate went through the roof, and I honestly expected I was going to be bitten. Well, it turned out to be some sort of container, floating just under the surface, but it really brought it home to me how vulnerable you are splashing about on the surface with no idea what is underneath you.

Remember a few years ago there was a juvenile Great White stranded there.....

Underwater we tend to blow bubbles and use bright torches which are more likely to spook a shark than attract it. On the surface we are more likely to generate sounds and actions similar to a vulnerable food source. Of course if you are in the midst of "chum" like spear fishermen or abalone divers that is a whole new dynamic!

I've got videos of the duskies at this site but they have always been to shy to get any decent stills.

I have difficulty believing this would have been a Grey Nurse. I don't have evidence of the bite marks to totally rule it out. I've seen some decent sized Grey Nurses but non big enough to bite both sides of an adult male torso!

Attachments

• Sharks-238c.jpg
    Sharks-238c.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF0305L.jpg
    DSCF0305L.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 143
  • R0016875.JPG
    R0016875.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 614C-524e.jpg
    614C-524e.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 210
Interesting.. on the news tonight they said Shelly was shut down today because a grey nurse was sighted.:shocked:

First thought hubby and I had... I wonder if they'd let divers in...:daydream: it would save the trip to Magic Point by boat or way up to South West Rocks for Fishrock :yeahbaby:

Back
Top Bottom