Early Sept. Komodo LOB - flight or any other advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So excited to tentatively book today for a Sept. trip on Coralia - 9 days/8 nts - Labuan Bajo-Labuan Bajo
We'll be in Bali for a day before flying to LBJ on an early morning Garuda flight.
For those of you that have made this Garuda flight recently - do you think we're safe in planning to fly from Bali to LBJ the morning of the day we're to embark?
At the end of the trip we'll fly back to Bali for a few days, and haven't planned that part of the trip yet - but no stress about potential flight delays on that end of it.

Super-excited - at the same time as keeping in mind a healthy fear of the currents and wondering about temps. We know the currents range from robust to monstrous, but robust would be nice! We've only used reef hooks once, and have been in respectable currents in Cozumel, Maldives and the Similans, but everyone says they don't compare. Do most people feel comfortable with a 3mm or 5mm in Komodo in Sept.? although that's probably a personal preference question.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

I was there end of August and used 5mm in the South and 3mm in the North. You might be ok with 3mm and extra layers but depends on how cold you get. Manta Alley hit 74f and was glad I was wearing 5mm with hooded lavacore vest. I didn’t find the currents too challenging, you’ll drift or hook in when needed. If you’ve got some experience in Coz, you’ll be fine.

I would definitely recommend 5mm, have been there in September 2018

With regards to the flight, you can fly in the morning but taking into consideration that you will not have a lot of time in Labuan Bajo and Bali is bigger and more traffic then one might think (you mention you will just have a day), I would recommend coming the day before to LB and have a look at the fish market, the town etc.

I would definitely recommend 5mm, have been there in September 2018

With regards to the flight, you can fly in the morning but taking into consideration that you will not have a lot of time in Labuan Bajo and Bali is bigger and more traffic then one might think (you mention you will just have a day), I would recommend coming the day before to LB and have a look at the fish market, the town etc.

Or if you can't do that, stay right at the Denpassar airport at the Novotel. I've done it a few times.

You cannot be too careful in Indonesia.I was in Bali a few weeks ago, my flight back to the UK via Hong Kong left at 4.15 pm. I spent te night before at the Novotel, which I would highly recommend. Was one of the first to check on and thought about going back to the Novotel but didn’t and went straight through. There was a throng of people after security, the Immigration system crashed. It took three hours in 28 degree heat to get to the aircraft.in fairness though we have been to Indo at least fifteen times for diving, have only had a few cxxk ups with travel.

Luckily the plane waited for everybody to board and then went tech and then flew UK passengers booked to Gatwick like me into Heathrow, missing my onward flight...another long story. But internal flights in a country will often leave on time, or the crew can be out of hours or the aircraft is needed elsewhere.
Whether it is better to stay and get some sleep in the very very nice Novotel, or to get checked in for an internal flight when you are jet lagged , only you can decide !

Enjoy Komodo !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom