Earned, Un-earned or Predisposed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
An incident occurred while teaching last weekend that I feel needs to be discussed.

Some background:
Instructors and DMs in landlocked areas will often teach classroom and pool sessions for a month and then journey to an Open Water site for certifications. It is not unusual to have an OW class, a Rescue Class, Avanced and/or Specialty classes running back to back or concurrently.

The students are limited to 3 training dives per day and are afforded adequate surface intervals. DMs and Instructors on the other hand, sometimes go from training session to training session with a fair amount of tank hauling and refilling, equipment setups, briefings, general running around serving student's needs, etc. All of this is done on generally shortened surface intervals.

Does this sound familiar to any dive professionals out there?

During the course of a training day an Instructor may conduct at least half a dozen training dives, some with CESAs and Alternate Air ascents. This makes for a lot of ascents and the necessity for reverse profiles.

Some known predisposing factors to the DCS incident are: Dehydration, vigorous exercise before and after dives, fatigue, stress, and in the case I will describe, altitude. There may be other unknown predisposing factors involved in the incident as well.

Here is a summation of the incident:

The Instructor involved is a 47 year old male, very fit, healthy, no known medical conditions, has close to 500 dives in various conditions from very cold water to warm tropics, and is a very conservative and disciplined diver.
He is actively diving throughout the year and as a full time instructor is teaching in the pool nearly everyday. He usually uses a conventional single tank/BC setup but also dives BP/W doubles w/longhose configuration and has generally dived dry for all but tropical vacations.

Last weekend, on the 8th training dive of the day he felt what he thought was a back spasm in upper back and shoulders while still about 5 feet underwater. This was on a slow ascent which followed an extended safety stop on a night dive where the group hovered prone on their backs enjoying the view of the stars for over 5 minutes at 15 feet.
Apon exiting the water and removing gear, the pain spread down his arms and within another couple of minutes the right arm was paralyzed. He sat down and twitching started in his right leg followed by paralysis. By this time he was rushed to a nearby hospital and placed on 100% O2. DAN was alerted. The total time from exiting the water to paralysis to being on O2 at the hospital was about 5 minutes.

After a couple of hours on O2 and an IV of a Magnesium solution and another with a Valium solution, the condition was resolved and all feeling and motor function returned to the extremities. He was given an EKG which looked excellent. Blood pressure normal. Heart rate normal. Blood test showed small electrolyte imbalance with slightly low potassium levels at 3.4L Normal is 3.5 -5.1. CK markers were above normal at 309 Normal range 35-232.

He stayed in ER overnight for a total of 8 hrs on O2.
Since the location was remote he waited until he was home the next day to do a Navy Table 5 hyperbaric O2 recompression. He shows no symptoms and apparently had a complete recovery.

The printouts from the dives downloaded off his computer show no actual ascent violations except on one CESA, all dives were ended with over 1000psi remaining. All evidence showed 8 relaxed comfortable dives. Earlier in the day (dive3) involved 2 CESAs and an Alt Air Ascent, with one CESA violating 30fpm.
Dive 6 was a Rescue dive where he played victim and the Rescuer ascended quickly but the computer did not show a violation.
Deepest dive was 70 feet. Longest dive was only 38 minutes. Most of the dives were betwen 25 and 50 feet and around 30 minutes. DTR on computer was never in caution zone. There was a reverse profile with first dive of the day to 70 feet followed by all the shallower dives and then final dive of the day was 70 feet.

DAN says 8 dives are too many in one day, esp. at 4600 feet. They say there were too many ascents. One DAN Dr. questions if it was actually a DCI incident.

The Instructor/victim is up and around, healthy and even taught a classroom session today.

Any diving medicine experts out there with an opinion? Anyone ever experience or hear of anything like this?

Has anyone heard of initial DCI symptoms occurring near the surface but still underwater?

It certainly has prompted changes in our dive center policy concerning certification weekends.

:coffee:

Anybody reading about "near misses and lessons learned tonight"? This seems like a topic which might bring some good discussion. I witnessed this mishap and it was really scary!

I've heard of DCS underwater, but only anecdotally. 8 dives in one day is pretty sporty, regardless of what a computer says. Adding in the CESA and the cumulative dehydration that results from multiple dives per day breathing dry, compressed air (even if BP and HR are WNL), I'm not surprised that the incident occurred.

Bounce diving like that will really do it, esp past 20-30ft. If I were you, Id cut down the dive per day and keep them shallower, regardless.

I agree. I think the aggressive dive schedule and "bounces" added up to the point where on the last dive, there was a "straw that broke the camels back." The scary part is both Instructors and both DMs were diving the same profiles. Everyone could have taken a hit.

You might want to add heating up, cooling down and repeating to part of the issue.

I would be fairly comfortable in saying that the diving was way outside any model one would use to make a dive computer with.

At some point in the complexity of that day, using a computer to tell how close you are to a DCS hit will be impractical.

Whether that was a DCS hit or not, that combination of events would not seem to be advisable.

WoW, I just can't imagine going through such a rigorous dive schedule like that. So many factors that come into play...number of dives, exertion during SI's, dehydration, variety in dive profiles...

It just seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. It sounds like everyone, including the affected instructor, were very lucky.

Last edited:
For the sake of maximizing the information we can extract from this unfortunate incident, it would be interesting to know what sort of computer the victim was diving. Computers running bubble models (such as Suunto or Mares) should theoretically be more sensitive to identifying the problems caused by bubble pumping resulting from bounce dives like the ones in this incident. Since the computer didn't complain, if he was using a bubble model-based computer, it would be good to know it may not identify problem with this type of repetitive diving as well as one might hope.

It would also be helpful to get more information on the exact length of those "shortened surface intervals". IIRC, Doppler studies have shown a peak in detectable bubbles 50-70 minutes after surfacing, and it would be interesting to see how the actual SIs compare.

Aside from the heavy workload of dives, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you said he was at the hospital and on O2 in about five minutes. I would think that you guys would be carrying your own O2 and that he would have been on it five minutes faster.

Sounds so much like a hit my last Inst took at Santa Rosa. He's more careful after this second one, but then he never really admitted to the first one.

This is great input. Much of which our staff has discussed, but some of you have raised some excellent points. Like the repeated change in tempurature.
We are compiling info and ideas, and using this incident as impetus to make changes in individual Instructor's allowable workloads. It is ridiculously common though, to see this aggressive scheduling with few instructors doing all the work.

O2 should have been immediately available. The one time it wasn't, we needed it. Luckily the hospital was very close by.

The computer was an Oceanic VT Pro.

Ok I just got permission and picked up a copy of the dive profiles;
Water temp 61 degrees, no thermocline.
Rainy cold weather for most of the day. Clear cool evening around 45 degrees.

Dive1: Max depth 69 feet. Elapsed dive time 31 minutes. 4 minute safety stop.
Dive2: 25 minute SI. Max depth 38 feet. 25 minutes. Most of dive at a suspended platform at 20 feet. 5 full minutes ascending from 20 feet to surface.
Dive3: 1:39 SI. Max depth 54 feet. Elapsed time 34 minutes. 3 min safety stop.
Dive4: 28 minute SI. Max depth 34 feet. Dive time 27 minutes. Alternate air ascent drill with students from 20 feet at 20 minutes. CESA1 from 20 feet @ 26 minutes with ascent violation corrected at 5 feet. CESA2 to end Dive.
Dive5: Rescue Dive. 2:16 SI. 39 feet. 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
Dive6: Rescue Dive. 21 minute SI. 29 feet. 9 minutes. Rescuer ascended too fast but no violations show on printout.
Dive7: 29 minute SI. Max depth 35 feet. Elapsed dive time 20 minutes. 5 minute ascent from 25 feet to surface.
Dive8: 3:03 SI. Night Dive. Max depth 70 feet. Elapsed dive time 38 minutes. 4 minute stop at 20 feet. 3 minutes @ 15 feet. Slow ascent to surface during which he claims to have felt what he thought was a spasm in his upper back and shoulders and which grew more intense after surfacing and exiting the water.:idk:

Back
Top Bottom