Earning a Living From Scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be worse. I worked as a DM on boats that the shop I worked at part time chartered. At the end of the trip the crew split the money in the tip jar. Because I was not part of the crew I worked for free. I did that for a year before realizing that I missed diving too much to work 14 hour days for free.

Happiness is having a day job, or be retired, with sufficient financial assets to be able to dive whenever and wherever you want. From my very limited perspective of watching professionals in the dive industry working their butts off, hoping against all odds to get a tip at the end of the dive, much less a good tip and a living wage, I could not recommend going in that direction. It breaks my heart to be on a dive boat where I seem to be the only person tossing money into the tip jar. It amazes me that dive instructors, DMs, and shop owners are willing to work so hard for generally unappreciative (no tip) divers. I try to make an example of tipping the crew, hoping others will follow suit, but the gesture usually falls to generate more than a few souls that seem to think a $3-5 tip is OK for a two tank, wonderful dive experience. Makes me mad as hell!
True. I always tip the DM on charters. But the tip situation IMO isn't the problem. There are a lot of economic reasons it is such an unattractive pro career money-wise (and they have been discussed in depth, especially on the Going Pro sub forum). Simple ones are there are too many pros and too many willing to work for such low wages--or for tips only. Similar to the music industry--another area considered "fun". If you want to "make it" as a clarinet player (being your sole income), you're either incredibly dedicated or simply crazy. It is what it is.
When I was a working DM I got paid $300 CAD assisting per OW course. I figure that's about minimum wage in Canada ($10/hr.?). I consider myself to have been very dedicated and enjoyed that time, but wouldn't have done it for less. My only tip ever was one beer but classes are different than charters.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom