Earths atmossphere 65,000,000 years ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last night I saw part of a show on the science channel that was talked about what the composition of the earths atmosphere was back in the days of the large dinosaurs. The same elements were found ie oxygen, nitrogen etc etc. The thing that was interesting was the level of oxygen was 36% instead of the current approximately 21%. As the oxygen levels decreased the end was near for the large dinosaurs as they had no diaphram for breathing. Not sure how old this show is but it was new to me. I'm not a tech diver but isn't that gas mixture one that is used by some divers?

So dinos were mixed gas breathers!!! Aha! Even dinos with their small brains knew that air sucks...

If Dinos breathed EAN36, did the mammals displace them through their innovative use of trimix?

isn't that gas mixture one that is used by some divers?

Yes, 36% oxygen (balance nitrogen) is a nitrox blend often referred to as EAN36 (Enriched Air Nitrox - 36%). The increased oxygen percentage allows for a longer bottom time (without decompression stops) and shorter surface intervals. EAN36 is good to 110'. Less nitrogen = less risk of getting bent too...

Originally posted by jbd
I'm not a tech diver but isn't that gas mixture one that is used by some divers?
Nitrox, (enriched air with the oxygen percentage increased anywhere from 22% to 36%) has been accepted by the recreational diving community. It ain't just for tekies anymore! Now even us old guys can dive longer, or safer and feel better afterward. Ya just gotta love it. (Translations available on request for those who are not fluent in american hick languages.) :) I try real hard to never dive without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom