• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

East Coast in early July - where to dive

Discussion in 'General Asia' started by pelan-pelan, Feb 8, 2020.

1. pelan-pelan

pelan-pelan Contributor

We're off to East coast Sri Lanka in early July. Recommendations for dive operations? Comments on dive conditions, depths etc? Priority - dive safely and see fish and things, dive guides interested in the fish-life and environment.

We had a really good time with Polhena Diving in the South a year ago. Would have gone back there but we didn't have the opportunity.

2. Nishan

Nishan Dive Shop

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    July is technically east coast dive season but can be quite windy. Expect viz around 10m. Mostly shallow coral and rock reefs with a few deeper sites. Fairly easy diving, with the usual reef fish and a mix of hard and soft corals. You will find more coral than in the south, and interesting macro at sites like Swami Rock.

Trincomalee is the best known area and has heaps of dive shops. There is some nice diving in the Pasikudah area including a really nice WWII wreck but less options for dive shops. You can access it via a small operator. Basic operation but the guide is a nice guy and very experienced. You can ask Randunu from Polhena Diving Center for a recommendation in Nilaveli (Trincomalee) :wink: or feel free to PM me.

3. pelan-pelan

pelan-pelan Contributor

Thanks Nishan. Will take a look at Pasikudah. I have been in touch with Randanu.

4. Nishan

Nishan Dive Shop

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Pasikudah options are limited. Much quieter than Trinco. I would recommend going to Trinco and if you have time plan a day or two in Pasikudah. The British Sergeant is the best recreational wreck on the east coast. I spend a lot of time there doing reef research so feel free to check in on conditions etc. closer to the date.