East Timor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's apparently very good - guy I was on Pindito with at Komodo went onto East Timor and raved about the diving but said the costs were huge (I've costed it out from west Aus and it's extremely expensive) and quite "rustic" compared to Alor which is saying something. Some decent clips on YouTube show pretty good footage.

From friends who have been it's expensive, it's a bit of a pain in the neck as it's eiither long boat rides or car drives with a few dive sites selection.
On their part they weren't flabbergasted underwater as they much much prefered Alor.
Personally I removed East Timor from my to do list, life is too short.
Not for you either, Bill.

the logistics to get there are not easy but the diving is top class.
I was lucky to be on an exploratory 12 day trip on a liveaboard that covered the area around Dili, Atauro and all the way to the east side. I remember I saw my first hammerheads in Atauro; the macro around Tasi Tolu is top class, while towards the eastern side I remember a couple of dive sites full of nurse sharks and giant rays ... Also, the two jetties are some of the best jetties I have dived ...
Would happily go back there but its an expensive destination and without liveaboard you will only be able to get around Dili ... you need a 4x4 to drive around those roads, at least that was the case back in 2012.

here some pics from my trip; first time I ever used an underwater camera btw: East Timor 9/12

Very impressive shots for a first time underwater camera man.

Which liveaboard took you over please?

Our dive club went there a few times in mid 2010s. Was not expensive or hard to get to, at least from Sydney (via Darwin).

Our dive club went there a few times in mid 2010s. Was not expensive or hard to get to, at least from Sydney (via Darwin).

How did you get there please and though it was a few years back, how was your experience there, please? Where did you stay?

I did not go but they had a great time. As I said, you need to go via Darwin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom