Easter 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having seen the long range forecast I'm not convinced we will be diving, BUT does anyone have any plans if I'm wrong?

Yes. Wait till you can see something!. I`m not a fair weather diver but braille diving ain`t much fun.

Yes. Wait till you can see something!. I`m not a fair weather diver but braille diving ain`t much fun.

23rd April 2006 we had over 25m vis off Dorset.

my friend tells me that there was a whole meter if you had a very strong torch 2 weeks ago:-(

and still the winds blow:-(

I took the car diving in a flash flood last week - I was driving down the A1 at the time...

vis is still ok here - though it's got that summery greenish tint to it again, though it usually clears again in 3 or 4 weeks

well i managed to get wet yesterday. no deeper than 10m, and vis was no more than 2 1/2 meters. there was a lot of silt in the water, but given a settled spell of weather (yeah right) it should be quite good - until the plankton blooms anyway!

sorry to hear about your unscheduled dive, hope the car is OK or at least the insurance company will cough up.

Ho Ho. What fun we Brit divers have.
Still, give it a while and the viz off Devon and Cornwal can be stunning and match almost anything abroad. And the great thing is its just on our doorstep and does`nt have to cost a arm and a leg.

vis can be awful anywhere! some friends of mine have just had bad vis in the maldives.

i've never had vis as good as in Norway - 100m! not sure devon & cornwall come close to that:)

i still prefer to dive in the UK though.

sorry to hear about your unscheduled dive, hope the car is OK or at least the insurance company will cough up.

The car's replacement should be here this week - ho hum! - Last weekend was hot and sunny with flat calm sea - and I had to spend all day in Inverness car-hunting :(

Went diving off the Trinkie in Wick after work on Thursday - spring tides, but we jumped about 20 minutes before low water - in theory when it's slack water - the seabed water full of sea hares in the shallows and we meandered down to the wall which starts in about 10m running to 20m in places. Unfortuantely we'd managed to land on the one part of the wall that is not well defined, but no worries. The water wasn't supposed to be moving muc at all, but as the flood was due to start and run south we headed north - rather than chance not being able to swim out at he southern end of the reef. By the time we'd been in the water 20 minutes (by the tide tables slack water) we were making very little headway on the 'headlands' so turned and sheltered. No torches needed, about 15m viz, few fish as yet, but plenty of dahlia anenomes, sagartia elegans, sponges and crabs.
We'd both forgotton a compass, and whilst the tide line stops more or less at the wall, the way in is relatively flat in the shallows - so headed directly for the setting sun - but still managed to surface a good 100m extra scramble from the cars. All in all a very pleasant potter - the water back up to 8 degrees.
Abandoned diving this weekend - though the surf was a good 3m or so today, so got to work out how to get the boards on the hire car tomorrow :)

sounds fun, you are lucky that you can get a dive midweek.

vis is marginally better this week, but if you get below the silt the lights go out -seriously!

12m dives, playing with lobster pots (favour to the guy who lost them) great fun playing with lifting bags untangling string & finding anchors (believe me if you saw this reef you would never put an anchor on it!

water 8 degrees, a few sea lemons, quite a few nudibranch eggs, some dhalia anemones, just off the reef a congregation of hermit crabs, think they may have been doing what hermit crabs do in spring:) (must talk to someone who knows) some gobis which i must learn how to identify properly. Lovely sunshineing spring day, but a cold north easterly (light) wind which made me forget the sun cream - my face now resembles a cooked lobster.

could blow up a bit midweek, but looking settled for weekend so not to expect much in the way of vis again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom