Easy Diving Reachable from NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks to be around 10-15 ft viz. Area water temps peak at highs 60's. Maybe low 70's in the shallows.

Still a no for me. I know many love the local diving, but it is more about being underwater than seeing marine life.
I'm used to those numbers being a great dive. Lately we've had less than ten feet vis with temps from 49° to 55° in SoCal.

Them's fightin' words
For me, I like to see marine life. I am also lazy, so low viz, cold water, lots of gear, shore diving..... no thanks.

I'm used to those numbers being a great dive. Lately we've had less than ten feet vis with temps from 49° to 55° in SoCal.

Yeah, but SoCal has good marine life. NYC ? Maybe I will see some Coney Island Whitefish.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone!

Ease of the dives is definitely a big part of it. I'm actually less comfortable diving now than I was when I started, having experienced equipment failure at 80 feet down. Want to focus on my skills in some shallower and easier environments for the next few trips.

There are nonstop flights from NYC to Bonaire, Curacao, and Grand Cayman. Mexico too, as you know. My wife and I seem to stick with this rotation with occasional trips to Hawaii (also nonstop from nyc) and Asia.

I'll throw in my vote for Bonaire. Just got back from a week there at the Plaza. We did 3x 2-tank boat dives and one night boat dive. The rest were shore dives. Perfect spot for a novice diver to do some dives. Probably did work better that I was with a large group, so had many choices for shore diving buddies. Some in our group did all boat dives and had a great time as well.

Give MIAMI a look. Not as much current as west palm, but just easy chill diving. Also a lot cheaper to get to than the other places mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom