ebay Treasures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I discovered this regulator on ebay while searching for some old gear that included a computer. Nobody else bid on it probably because of the way it was listed. The good news is that it came with a Beuchat Aladin Pro and Suunto Solution, both of which just needed a new battery and cleaning of the contacts on the Suunto. They are air only but that suits me just fine. The SPG needed the usual new O-rings and there is also a good compass. The regulator is a Sherwood Maximus. I could not find a serial number but the second stage orifice is bronze and not plastic so I don't think it's one of the recalled regs, or possibly it was upgraded. It has a small leak where the hose attaches to the swivel on the second stage so I might need a new swivel. I actually managed to get the piston clean enough that it bubbles, albeit very slowly, so in order to make it usable a new piston would be in order.

The second stage had quite a bit of verdigris which cleaned up easily enough. Some new O-rings and it works quite well. The first stage (and the whole set) looks as though someone left off the dust cap, removed the port plugs, threw it in the ocean for a few months, and then took it out and let it dry without rinsing. Even the bottom of the piston was green. My first reaction was, of course, that there was no way this regulator would ever work again. After about an hour of cleaning and replacing the O-rings etc it works. The IP was pre-set (adjustable first stage) at about 142 psi. It may end up being my air-tool regulator but I think it's a tribute to the durability of Sherwood regulators.

I took a chance that the computers would work mainly because in the picture on ebay it looked like the previous owner did not do any maintenance. I guessed that when the Suunto battery went dead the owner bought the Aladin Pro and put it on the hose instead of replacing the battery on the Suunto.

20190224_125705.jpg 20190224_125738.jpg 20190224_125752.jpg 20190224_125801.jpg 20190224_125823.jpg 20190224_130440.jpg 20190224_130601.jpg 20190224_130631.jpg 20190226_095934.jpg 20190226_100114.jpg

Someone once told me that I was missing out on bottom time by not using a computer, which may be true for multi-level dives, but the NDL for 100' with the Suunto is 17 minutes and only 16 on the Aladin Pro. I never pushed the US Navy Dive Tables but have done 20 minutes and never heard of a safety stop until 2011 :wink:

Wow..I have a number of older Sherwoods...never seen one that bad.

I do get fussy on ebay..buy from square state sellers. Usually works out.

I am using that 1st on a slant back pst 100 now. I love how easy it is set ip.

I'm looking forward to the "after" pictures.

Good grief, did the previous owner us it as an anode instead of the usual zinc plate on his tugboat? Or did it just spend 10 years as an ornament in a salt water aquarium?

Michael

I would be very surprised if the dry bleed design works, once the piston is contaminated it needs to be replaced with a new one. Never have seen one work correctly after being contaminated , no amount of cleaning ever worked. Dry bleed system works to keep interior of 1st stage dry and clean. Obviously was contaminated and stopped working. Piston gets contaminated by water in tank or during improper rinse with dust cap off after a dive.

Looking at those pictures which show more green metal than the Statue of Liberty I'm coming up short when trying to find reasons to agree that your purchase qualifies as a treasure.

Wow. I’ve thrown better looking regs in the dumpster. You actually paid for those? Say it aint so...

Cognitive dissonance
Main article: Cognitive dissonance
The phenomenon of buyer's remorse has been generally associated with the psychological theory of cognitive dissonance, a state of psychological discomfort when at least two elements of cognition are in opposition, and which motivates the person to appease it by changing how they think about the situation.

Looking at those pictures which show more green metal than the Statue of Liberty I'm coming up short when trying to find reasons to agree that your purchase qualifies as a treasure.

I didn't buy it for the regulator :wink: Both of the computers work (with the new batteries) so they were the treasure. Plus I got the SPG and compass which are both AOK. I didn't pay very much.

My phone camera is not-so-great--it actually looked worse than in the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom