Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have purchased an Aqualung Low Profile Octo and a pair of Scubapro Jet fins on ebay, and found that I paid too much for the used octo, but was happy for the fins ($15 for a proven fin technology).

As you can guess, there is a very big debate about buying dive equipment online versus at the LDS (local dive shop). And eBay adds an interesting touch to the mix.

Remember, that your Regulator, Tank, Guages, and BC are considered LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT that is required to entire the hostile environment of the underwater world. And with that being stated, my thoughts is that the saying "Cavaet Emptor" (buyer beware) really, really applies to dive gear purchases over eBay for the following reasons:
  1. Much of what is being sold is used gear. You will have zero idea of how the gear was used or how frequently it was serviced, unless the seller is honest and you trust them. Remember, your continued existance on this planet depends on the gear functioning correctly [red]since malfunctioning gear will kill you.[/red]
  2. The chance of being ripped off is also there by
    • an unscrupulous seller who won't refund your money once you discover that your purchase won't pass a dive shop's inspection.
    • a seller not sending you the gear once you send your payment
    • you bid more than the gear is worth, or worse, bid more than what you can buy it for new.

For new divers, I would caution them away from buying off of eBay. Yes the LDS's are going to ask for more $$$ than if you purchased online, but you can rest easy that you purchased good and solid equipment that will meet your current and future needs.

Would I as an experienced diver buy off of eBay? Yes, but only non-life support equipment such as fins, camera, apparel, etc.

But if you are dead set at making an eBay purchase, [red]P L E A S E[/red] post something here asking us about the item so that we can make sure that you are making a good decision and know what the right price to pay is. Remember, we are here to help.

...highlight TexaMike's point. A tank was purchesed through ebay. It was out of hydro. The tank failed hydro and was drilled. Customer was out the money for both and had no tank.

Counterpoint - I purchased a regulator on Ebay (used, but like new) for 1/3 what it would cost me at my LDS. It has worked great from day 1.

Tips:
+ When buying high-ticket items (whatever that level is for YOU), buy from reputable dealers with high postive ratings.
+ Get life support equipment inspected/serviced before using it. Some Dive shops get cranky with regards to servicing Ebay purchased gear, so you may be served by "forgetting that you bought it on Ebay" when you take it in.

There are a good number or "reputable" people that sell things on ebay. Including people that work at shops that are selling brand new equipment.

How to tell? Read their feedback, ask them questions... call if necessary. DO YOUR RESEARCH before buying anything online.

Buyer beware... we are talking life support. I wouldn't buy anything other than stuff like fins or a snorkel..

Anyhow just my .02$

Thanks for the great tips and thoughts. I think life support items should be bought from a local dive shop. I guess its a gamble no matter what you buy on line.

Actually, my plan was to sell all the goodies I find underwater like; anchors, goodie bags, knives, etc!

Oh, now that you mention that....Then by all means, selling things like that are fine. Just make sure you do your best to be a good seller.

Just bought some Atomic Fins... brand new... not the best price in the world... but a heck of a lot cheaper than I could find them anywhere else...

XL in silver for $130 delivered... not to shabby

:D

Just as a side note: I would NEVER buy a reg or bc from ebay... that's just me though

Good Luck

You can buy a reg or a bc from Ebay, often for *far* less than you can get it elsewhere, and be perfectly safe in doing so. The key, as I wrote above, is to GET IT INSPECTED/SERVICED prior to use.

I saved $400 on a practically new regulator that works flawlessly and that I now trust implicitly because I got it checked out before using it.

I'm happy I have that $400 in my pocket... I rolled that cash into some Volo fins and most of a Riffe speargun.

Was I "at risk"? Sure, for the purchase price of the reg ($250) plus shipping. Much the same, I might add, as any Ebayer who pays for a high ticket item with no guarantee as to whether or not you'll be able to return it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat - but I wouldn't use it until I got it inspected.

If you don't trust used items you are essentially saying you don't trust your LDS to inspect them - and that problem won't go away if you buy new unless you throw them out whenever inspection rolls around.

I got a new scubapro finseal xl bc with inflator for 88$
and a set of atomic splitfins for 132$ price for the fins
at dive shop was 189. bcs price was 450$ not bad i think
Rick L

Back
Top Bottom