eBay's ridiculousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imwright1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ok people usually bash buying gear on ebay but I saw what looked like a good deal on a BC I just placed my bid on it and it needs weight pockets 50 bucks. I bid 160 and am auto outbid. bc is lightly used and retails around 400. Am I just being extra cheap or is that crazy for price to get that high. im trying to save some cash on my bc and mine is getting to uncomfortbly old stage so figured lightly used would be a reasonable idea

ok people usually bash buying gear on ebay but I saw what looked like a good deal on a BC I just placed my bid on it and it needs weight pockets 50 bucks. I bid 160 and am auto outbid. bc is lightly used and retails around 400. Am I just being extra cheap or is that crazy for price to get that high. im trying to save some cash on my bc and mine is getting to uncomfortbly old stage so figured lightly used would be a reasonable idea

Is it new?

Nope.

Prices on scuba gear seem to be running a bit higher than usual this season. It is an auction so when someone want it more the I (or you) do, then good for the buyer. Be patient or adjust your expectations. And think a bit about your bidding techniques. Submitting your maximum bid as close to closing as you can reduces the ability of competing bidders to adjust their bids based on the information you give them.

Ebay is an auction. . . the seller writes the description, and you pay your money before you see what you are buying. If the seller is honest, and there are many, you can get a good deal. If the seller is not honest, and yes there are some, you will get cheated.

Dive gear can be tricky to buy online, a picture can hide problems and a BC with a hole in it can be presented as like new. Badly maintained regulators can have corrosion, Dive lights can be flooded and corroded contacts, Dive tanks can have a history of over pressure use, weakening the metal. If it is not a real bargain, don't take a risk.

This time of year a lot of people are dumping equipment they don't want, or won't use for months, and is a riskier time to buy used. This time of year is when some dive shops will sell new gear that didn't sell through their peak season, and will sell it cheaper on line. Let the buyer beware.

IM,

I have seen the same thing. Items going for more than they are worth. People bid on things that you can buy at leisure pro at the same or cheaper price. I was looking at a UK SL6 light for a backup, Leisure Pro had it at 28.00, Ebay was at 36.00 plus shippingand it sold.

It also can get to be a issue of just wanting to win the item no matter what the cost.

I realise its an auction and am willing to take some risk mostly I just find it insane that once you fix what's obviously bad your @ 2/3 new price if you shop around. theres people with beaten ancient gear getting good prices too. just look at tank prices as an example. I guess ill wait another month and buy exactly what I want brandnew

It also can get to be a issue of just wanting to win the item no matter what the cost.

:thumb: That definitely works in the sellers favor. Now, where did I put my old spare air..

......some people are unable to control themselves and bidding becomes a competitive sport, not a sane business transaction.....let the other guy be 'stupid' with his $, stay disiplined and stick to your personal price comfort zone. Remember, you are competing against other people who may not be as smart as you (they haven't done their price shopping homework and will happily over pay relative to you)....also, you are competing against people who may have a higher pain threshold than you......they might consider a 10-20 % discount from new to be OK whereas you might only accept a 50% discount......you will always lose out to those bidders. Check out Leisure Pro/Scubatoys for reality price checks, determine your own limits and stick to them. If you set your limits...and keep losing out to other bidders, then the marketplace is signaling you that you are being unrealistic on your pricing expectations and you will have to readjust your limits. Watch E-bay and record the final sales prices of the the items you want and you will get a feel for the 'real' market price you should expect to pay...versus what YOU think you should pay. Also, don't overlook the Scubaboard Classifieds..... just a few weeks ago I bought, from an SB member, an almost new Atomic T2 reg that originally sold for $ 1500 for only $ 600 (I know the original price as I have the original owner's sales receipt/owner's manual)

Buying used requires patience. Check often, know the price of the item brand new and buy when the time comes. Don't rush. Also, don't buy used regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom