Eddy Fins Sleeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased fins and they came with a black sleeve to put over the springs. Can anybody shed light on pros and cons to the sleeve?

I see in pictures some people use it, some don't.

Some folks who dive in very tight, confined areas (usually cave or wreck divers) consider the extra pull-tab on the spring strap to be a hazard. It can get caught on something and cause the fin to come off or get the diver stuck. Also, using the sleeve instead of nothing is safer for divers in these types of situation because it prevents any line the diver may be using from getting snagged in the spring.
Most divers will never dive in an area where this will be an issue, which is why we ship them with the pull-tab on, but leave the option to switch to the sleeve. Beyond this, it's merely a personal choice.

Some folks who dive in very tight, confined areas (usually cave or wreck divers) consider the extra pull-tab on the spring strap to be a hazard. It can get caught on something and cause the fin to come off or get the diver stuck. Also, using the sleeve instead of nothing is safer for divers in these types of situation because it prevents any line the diver may be using from getting snagged in the spring.
Most divers will never dive in an area where this will be an issue, which is why we ship them with the pull-tab on, but leave the option to switch to the sleeve. Beyond this, it's merely a personal choice.

I've also seen pictures where they have the sleeve on the spring under the pull tab. Any benefit to this? I would assume not as it allows moisture to stay inside the pull tab? Thanks for the reply.

Hey Rob,
apologies on the late response...

There's not really a huge benefit to it. Again, some will argue that it helps line from getting entangled in the spring. But honestly, good look getting the tab and spring on... that's a ridiculously tight fit (though I've seen it done). If you wanted to go that route, a less frustrating option would be to cut the sleeve in half and put one on each side of the pull tab.

Best,
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom