Edge Hog Service Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't do a quick inspection and bench test of my regs and certify them as safe, I would not want you working on them. The safety has to do with performance and mechanical condition, not tearing pages off of a calendar. If that is your criteria, you don't truly understand what it is you are working on. You are simply checking boxes on a list. And if you DO understand but are taking this stance anyway, you would be knowingly ripping me off by potentially providing service I don't need.

Edit: I picked up a set of Dacor regs for basically nothing, mostly just looking for the gauges. (Parts kits are not readily available, and although some people do manage to piece together workable parts solutions I am not interested in doing so). Before stripping them down, I had a tech at one of the LDSs in the area look at and assess them. He inspected, tested, and adjusted them. We had a frank discussion about their condition.

We have no idea when they were last serviced before I got them. I have had them for 4 years. They breathe fine, hold a steady IP, no leaks, good cracking pressure. They have saved several dives, and remain safe to use. They certainly don't come close to your calendar criteria though.

Like I said before it is liability, cause it's not a matter of if but when a regulator I have given the proverbial okey dokey fails and kills someone. I stick to the manufactures service intervals. You can thank the lawyers for that. As far as my expertise, I have serviced thousands of regs from customers world wide, and I teach repair seminars. I'm a big supporter of preventative maintenance, because it's usually cheaper to maintain than fix, but if you're happy trusting your life to that so am I, just don't ask for my expert opinion to certify something you know needs to be serviced.

Like I said before it is liability, cause it's not a matter of if but when a regulator I have given the proverbial okey dokey fails and kills someone. I stick to the manufactures service intervals. You can thank the lawyers for that. As far as my expertise, I have serviced thousands of regs from customers world wide, and I teach repair seminars. I'm a big supporter of preventative maintenance, because it's usually cheaper to maintain than fix, but if you're happy trusting your life to that so am I, just don't ask for my expert opinion to certify something you know needs to be serviced.

Nice dodge.

There is nothing in evidence to suggest that I am happy to dive something that I know needs to be serviced, and it is not cool to suggest that I have indicated that I am.

The difference is that I believe that needing service is not dictated by the calendar but rather by the condition of the regulator itself. I can do some simple breathing checks, and my $15 IP gauge can - and has - spotted creep that led to a 1st stage service and the use of the aforementioned Dacor regs as a backup to save the dive.

And preventative maintenance is what I do on a regular basis as I care for and clean my gear, checking it for proper operation. A rebuild is not preventative maintenance.

Check the owners manual on your vehicle. It will give you a service interval for your brakes. Are you going to do a rebuild every interval or are you going to inspect it and decide whether it needs rebuild?

I don't care how much expertise you have if you are going to require I pay for unnecessary parts and service. I don't care how much experience you have if you are not willing to stand behind your work but rather defer to the lawyers. I run from service providers of ANY sort who operate their business on the basis of what the lawyers tell them they should do.

Do you really think that calendar based service, regardless if it is the manufacturers recommendation, is the gold standard for a mechanical device that could see 2 hours service in a year or 200? Do you not for one moment think a competent lawyer could rip you to shreds for trying to stand behind that "shield"?

Somehow I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye on this, but that's OK. I am happy with my local service anyway.

Maybe you two should get together and give each other fist hugs.

Back
Top Bottom