Edge X built in red filter turning some subjects brown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently went diving with my new Edge X camera and set it to scuba mode. I dove McAbee beach in Monterey where there are lots of old cannery pipes. Most of the pipes are brown. I videoed a rose anemone that was mostly white with some brown color, but in the video it turned out mostly brown. The back ground was brown. What is the problem? I was only in 30 feet of water and had two 1000 lumen video lights on the subject. I did not use or need the color collection feature of my movie processor program. In the past with a SP1 that does not have a red filter I captured video of an anemone and the color was correct. Check out the video here; https://youtu.be/wsnu4CFjAmY

(My YouTube channel is timothytech1.)

2 problems here. The electronic red filter serves the same purpose as an external red filter-add warm colors back in that get washed out in water. In shallower water you do not use this function as there is already enough light so you will get too much red back in. 30 feet is right on the edge of depth, depending on water quality and brightness. If you use lights, you do not use filters as, once again, this will be too much red a lights allow the natural colors themselves.

2 problems here. The electronic red filter serves the same purpose as an external red filter-add warm colors back in that get washed out in water. In shallower water you do not use this function as there is already enough light so you will get too much red back in. 30 feet is right on the edge of depth, depending on water quality and brightness. If you use lights, you do not use filters as, once again, this will be too much red a lights allow the natural colors themselves.

Thanks! I had no idea lights would defeat the requirement for a red filter.

Back
Top Bottom