(edited) Second thoughts about posting hunting pictures that disrespect our prey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from my experience amberjacks would be easy prey.
One would think, if you've never caught one, whether spearfishing or hook and line.... But as soon as that line gets taught and it feels the pull, you will quickly understand why they are called Reef Donkeys. I've heard and seen more near misses of accidents from this species than any other. From it wrapping divers in the line, to regs and masks getting knocked off, hell, from teeth getting knocked out. On scuba they become more dangerous because they will drag you through the water column, you're just hanging on for the ride. They are right up there with cobia for being one of the most challenging fish to subdue.

If you want some good entertainment and to see how hard these fish fight, just check out the YouTube. Plenty of cluster f's with these fish and I wouldn't be surprised if they've killed a diver or two. They are far from easy prey.

Corresponding thread here... Amberjack almost kills me! Sharks and Barracuda too

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There's been a thread cleanup

Just to clarify, I was not saying that they are easy to land. I have spent an hour trying to land a big one fishing from a small boat and know how tough they are.. I was referring to hitting one with a shot from a spear gun since they often swarm in close when diving.

Anglers and divers have been posing for pictures with game since cameras were invented. At one time most of those were respectfully done mostly for a record and size comparison. This BS of dragging a dead animal behind a boat and other childish, perverted, and generally offense videos and pictures is just another indication of how we are in general regressing as a race, the human race. Not because we are hunting and fishing but of the callous treatment that is being shown to subdued prey and the large audience that enables it all. It would be nice if we could just say it's a few A-holes but it takes more than a few.

Back
Top Bottom