Editing software - image stabilization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering about the quality of the finished result of video processed (image stabilized) with either Pinnacle 9 or Adobe Elements plug-ins -- or other inexpensive software (must be WinX). I really don't like to do any more processing than absolutely necesssary. Any comments are appreciated.

Mark

howard4113:
I'm wondering about the quality of the finished result of video processed (image stabilized) with either Pinnacle 9 or Adobe Elements plug-ins -- or other inexpensive software (must be WinX). I really don't like to do any more processing than absolutely necesssary. Any comments are appreciated.

Mark

I don't use MS Windows so I can't speek to those specific software packages. But it shouldn't matter. I've used other software to correct a tilt. Was shooting hand held on a boat and the horizon was visable in the frame and it was not level. Rotation and image stabilization looses pixels. There is no way out of that. The image will get cropped and then enlarged back to full frame using pixel interpolation. It terms of image sharpness the result will not be as good
But if the improvment to composition makes the video better it may be worth the price you pay in sharpness. My experiance is that most people don't notice small image quality problems. You will and I do but the average viewer thinks VHS is good enough.

If you are shooting video for the web then image stabilization may actually make the image look sharper. because the stable image will compress better.

About your comment "don't like to do any more processing than absolutely necesssary" Why not do whatever it takes to make a better result. I don'tthink I've ever taken a still photo that could not be improved byeither computer or darkroom work. Why should video be different?

One good reason to shoot HD. You can post process the heck out of it and still have DVD quality video, even after cropping and rotating.. All we need now is an extra $10K

I like Dynapel Steadyhand . It is a stand-alone package for about $65. Very simple and fast and relatively powerful.

For more complicated tracking or stabilization I use Discreet Combustion which is fantastic - very powerful. Of course it costs roughly $1000 and many times I find Steadyhand is just about as good.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom