• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Editing software?

Discussion in 'Underwater Videography' started by Ready4Launch, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ready4Launch

Ready4Launch Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    What video editing software is everyone using? Is there one that is heads-n-tails above the rest? Looking for Windows options.

2. Chip Elliott

Chip Elliott Connecticut Yankee

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I use Magix and GoPro Studio. There are other threads on here that folks have discussed what software and why they use it.

3. Hoag

Hoag Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I don't shoot video often and when I do, it is usually on a GoPro. I edit the video in iMovie and/or GoPro Studio and if I shoot a time-lapse, I edit the JPEGs that I shoot in Adobe Lightroom 4.4 and then import them back into GoPro Studio for inclusion in the video.

I will be the first to admit that there is probably a better way to do this, but for me, this works (although at times, with all the grace and finesse of a bulldozer).

4. Kharon

Kharon Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I use an ActiveOn CX Gold and shoot mostly video. It's for show & tell and I don't try to get professional. I use QuickTime Pro to select and save clips, VSCD Free Video Editor to do color correction, and CyberLink Power Director (free version) to put the clips together with fades, etc and produce a final video.

For stills I just use IrfanView 4.41 (free) to crop, resize, color correct etc.

5. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

I use CyberLink Power Director. I recently downloaded version 15 and got the option that comes with ColorDirector 4 (which is much cheaper than the option that comes with the newer ColorDirector 5). I find PD easy to use generally, and the ColorDirector software is great for colour correction when the your white balance is off, or you just want to enhance your clips in other ways. Much better than the 'fix' option in PD and so simple to use side by side.
    I've been using PD for several years now so don't really have anything to compare it to, but I did download a trial version of Adobe Premiere recently but preferred PD, possibly in large part because I'm more familiar with it. PowerDirector does very well in the expert reviews though.
    For stills (RAW) I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 (I have a Canon camera). For jpegs etc I mainly use Paint.net (free).

6. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Black Magic Da Vinci Resolve 14 is free, runs on Mac and Windows and it looks really nice. Their Pro version is serious money. The free version appears to just lack the features that a real production studio would need (versus being a time-limited trial or something).

I have downloaded it but I haven't actually tried it yet.

Axel_HG and bmorescuba like this.
  7. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

That looks like some awesome software, and free too! I may just have to download and have a little play. I wouldn't have time to make use of all the features though!

8. nadwidny

nadwidny Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The pros I know have been moving over from Apples' Final Cut Pro to Adobe Premiere (which is available on Macs and PC's). I'm using Vegas Pro14 but I'm probably going to switch to Premiere.

9. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I've used Adobe Premiere and Power Director before and found them painfully sluggish when editing my MTS video files. Sony Vegas Movie Studio is my choice for fast editing.

10. Ready4Launch

Ready4Launch Nassau Grouper

Thanks for the replies!