Educate me how to use a grappling hook to anchor on a wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
(posted this in another thread, but I figure I'd get answers here too)

I found a grappling hook with a 6' chain on it while diving so I plan to use it on my 19' boat. Here's a pic of the grapple that I found:

img00349201007221946.jpg

Suppose the wreck is at 70' deep (Mercedes/Jay Scutti in Fort Lauderdale), how long should my anchor line be? How about 100' deep (Jim Atria/Rebel)?

Also, when the grapple is hooked to the wreck, should the first diver down carry a chain & shackle to secure the line to the wreck since the grapple may become loose?

How does the boat unhook the grapple from the wreck?

Shotline is useless here in Fort Lauderdale due to the current from the gulfstream

-not buying your argument concerning a grapnel. Which surface marker buoy/float? - Freediving Spearfishing Forum I'm gone...

Don't go away. I'm open minded, not starting an argument here.

Those kinds of marker buoys can't handle a diver pulling himself down the line to the wreck. We have to do that here often, gripping the line to pull yourself down until the current subsides closer to the wreck, sometimes even the only relief is the lee side of the wreck. The power of the gulfstream can be incredible sometimes. I'd be glad to be corrected if my thoughts are wrong in this instance.

There are only 2 of us on the boat (me and my wife). 1 of us dives while 1 of us stays on the boat. Dive-bombing the wreck is not an option due to the risk involved, so the only other way is to grapple to the wreck because Broward & Dade counties won't set up a mooring system to the deeper wrecks unlike shallow reefs and the wrecks in the keys.

.............There are only 2 of us on the boat (me and my wife). 1 of us dives while 1 of us stays on the boat. Dive-bombing the wreck is not an option due to the risk involved, so the only other way is to grapple to the wreck because Broward & Dade counties won't set up a mooring system to the deeper wrecks unlike shallow reefs and the wrecks in the keys.

You said it yourself:

.............due to the risk involved, ..........

Yikes, where do I begin??? OK, 1 captain on the boat at all times, 1 rescue diver, this isn't working...

Stay safe,
lowviz

…Also, when the grapple is hooked to the wreck, should the first diver down carry a chain & shackle to secure the line to the wreck since the grapple may become loose?...

I have found that shackling to the wreck is the most reliable. It also allows you to select the best location for a down-line on the wreck instead of wherever the hook lands. Unfortunately, I have seen more time at sea wasted because screw-pin shackles unscrewed than I can remember.
g209.jpg

The diver can safety wire them, but it is awkward and making up a screw pin under any load is much harder. The next best option is a round pin shackle, but the diver has to insert a small safety pin before they can relax and the hole is close to the body.

g213.jpg

My shackle preference is the bolt-type anchor shackle. The diver can slip the bolt in and any jerking on the down-line in the current is relieved. The next step is to spin a nut on at which time the diver has very little fear of the shackle coming loose while they are still there. They then have plenty of time to insert the safety pin.
g2130.jpg

If all you need is a line in the ½-¾" range, about 6-10' of anchor chain at the end for abrasion resistance that the diver can wrap around part of the wreck works well. It is really nice to have some midline loops in the line near the surface so you can attach lift bags to pull it taught if the current is running.

(posted this in another thread, but I figure I'd get answers here too)

I found a grappling hook with a 6' chain on it while diving so I plan to use it on my 19' boat. Here's a pic of the grapple that I found:

In many parts of the country, dropping a hook like that on to a wreck will put you first in line for either an angry mob or the police, depending on who gets to you first.

Is it actually legal to drop a nasty hook like that on to a wreck in Florida?

flots.

I think the OP asked a legitimate question. I too am new to wreck diving from my own boat, and recently purchased this grapple style anchor. And yes, anchoring into wrecks is legal in Florida and most places... (you should have seen this wicked looking grapple anchor our charter in Hatteras, NC used-- huge!!)

Anchoring to a natural coral reef, however, is a different story. Which is why the counties have installed permanent mooring buoys on many of our natural reefs.

Not sure about the scope question, but I don't think you'd need very much, especially if the first diver down secures the line with some chain and a shackle, as is commonly done on many dive charters in South Florida.

anchor.jpg

Almost forgot to address this part of the post....

There are only 2 of us on the boat (me and my wife). 1 of us dives while 1 of us stays on the boat.

Are you nuts? Diving 70' and 100' deep wrecks alone, in the gulf stream, with one person topside? :confused:
I mean, we're all adults and have to take responsibility for our own safety, but the list of things that can go wrong in your scenario is almost limitless.

Back
Top Bottom