Efficient path to tec trimix instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks...

Most if not all standards created by ''Western Civilized'' governments...non government related agencies...and everyone else are based on a set of ''minimum'' requirements....

If one needed fifty years of experience...and multiple professional accreditation's to get anything done...we'd still be grunting...wearing loin cloths...and throwing stones at one another...

We all build on something that started out as a ''minimum acceptable requirement''

Best...

Warren

@Azur Salino has posted here on SB about he and his partner setting up an operation in Loreto, Mexico; some other SBers have posted trip reports. Azur offers, I think, tech facilities/rentals/instruction; maybe putting the Belize OWSI that is the subject of the OP in touch with Azur would give him some useful information on his path. Especially on the cost/return on building tech infrastructure and the time it takes to build out a successful venture.

because you can rush certifications , you cant rush experience .....I know at least 3 zeros to hero's 2 are dead , I would never discourage a diver / instructor from progressing , but trying to do the minimum , just has bad news written all over it ,(for all concerned ) find a good IT and start the process

What is a tech instructor, be it PADI or TDI?

PADI has multiple classes, 40 thru maybe 60; TDI has AN, Deco and I think two levels of Tri Mix.

Does a tech instructor advance in steps? Do you assist in teaching x number of AN/Deco classes then you're allowed to teach those classes? Surely with what little I know about CCR, that is a completely different animal - so really just trying to understand up thru multiple levels of Tri Mix.

For me personally, I'm doing a three month IDC thru PADI. I love teaching, I love seeing the faces of new students - I think I'll be good at it, only time will tell. I'm also taking thru Tri Mix one with a well known instructor, somewhat for personal knowledge, somewhat for over learning what I need to know for teaching OW or AOW students. Do I want to teach Intro, 40, 45 etc? I dunno, maybe, maybe not - that's a long ways down the road.

I would think that a portion of being an instructor at any level is the ability to teach, to connect, to pass on the knowledge. Another portion is the experience, probably foremost, the bad experiences and what went wrong and how to avoid them. If a guy has taught at the OW/AOW level for 20 years and has a complete knowledge thru the Tri Mix level, what is holding him back from teaching that or classes up to that level?

If a guy has taught at the OW/AOW level for 20 years and has a complete knowledge thru the Tri Mix level, what is holding him back from teaching that or classes up to that level?
I'm trying to understand your question. You mean, he has the book knowledge through Trimix, but does not have the training, or cards, or experience?

I'm trying to understand your question. You mean, he has the book knowledge through Trimix, but does not have the training, or cards, or experience?

Yes, sort of. Book knowledge yes. Training and certs yes too but maybe just doesn't dive that way every day, doesn't have the 1000 dive experience at 200'.

OK, thanks. Yes, the book knowledge is essential, so are the training and certs, especially if they are from various instructors in diverse environments. 1000 dives at 200 ft is probably not essential, but I've always appreciated an instructor who had the training and experience at least one step beyond the one he/she is teaching. So, the person teaching normoxic trimix at 200 ft I'd prefer had lots of experience with hypoxic trimix at 300 ft, for example. Given the various levels of tech training, I suspect a total of 1000 tech dives across that spectrum isn't a bad target, but not 100...that is not enough experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom