Egress vs. XTX50 Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a new Octo, and as I do most of my diving in Ontario, I would like it to be cold water rated. Can anyone tell me if the Egress is cold water rated? I like the fact that it is low profile, but I'm wondering if the XTX50 octo would be better suited to pair with my XTX200 DIN reg.

Per Apek website:
Egress means way out, exit, escape - the perfect description for an ideal octopus. The Apeks Egress has been designed as a left and right hand second stage regulator perfect for octopus use and emergency buddy breathing situations. It is, however, also entirely suitable as a left and right handed primary second stage compatible with any Apeks first stage. If used with an unsealed first stage then it is only recommended for warm waters, but is suitable for cold water diving when used with any Apeks environmentally sealed first stage.

My other half just went through the same decision, just purchased a third Aqualung Legend LX & the AL district rep ordered her a the Egress as her free octo but she opted for the Legend octo, for the reason that the research she did it breaths slightly better than the Egress.
If it was me, think I would have gave the Egress a try due to lower profile.

XTX50 will probably breathe easier than the Egress. I have the current version of the XTX50, with environmentally sealed 1st stage, with the XTX40 octo, and they both breathe "like butter".

I have a brand new Apeks Egress, $45.00, if your interested.....Free hose, let me know what length........

I'm not a fan of the egress, as it really doesn't breathe as well as the XTX50. That said, if you're only using it in emergencies, as long as it breathes, that's what's really important. The egress does have a low profile which, if important to you, is a benefit. My octo crosses my chest, and the way it hangs, it never gets in my way. I dive the XTX200 DIN primary with the XTX50 octo and love it.

The egress does work well in cold water, just isn't adjustable and doesn't breathe as smoothly. It's a toss-up.

I'm not a fan of the Egress. I bought some Apeks equipment in the classifieds here and it just happen to come with the egress (I knew ahead of time but it was a good deal). If I wasn't diving in warm water I wouldn't touch the egress even though they seem to say it's OK with an environmentally sealed first stage. It's been collecting dust for a couple months.

Thanks for the feed back guys.
I decided to go with the XTX200 DIN with a XTX50 octo. Delivery should be next week...I'm pumped to get in the water and try'em out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom