Egypt Liveaboard: which and where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-gee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All
I have a pretty open question for those who know Egypt well or have been there. I want a good liveaboard in the first half of the year and would like to know what do you recommend.
- itineraries: what are the types of areas/itineraries covered? I used to think liveaboards in Egypt all did the same and now i realize there are loads of options
- time of the year? When is recommended? Ideally i prefer big fauna over small
- boat names you recommend?

Enormous thanks, as ever

Could be better in may - june or october - november (too hot in summer and water is a little bit colder in winter). Anyway, you can dive the whole year long.

If you prefer big fauna, Brothers islands or Brothers / Daedalus / Elphinstone seems to be the option. That's where you'll have more possibility of encountering bigger fauna. (never guaranteed !)

I prefer locals, so you may try the Ramadan 3 (egyptian owner, egyptian management, more than 10 years diving with them), but many other boats are nice (have a look at liveaboard)

In 2019 I did BDE (Brothers, Deadalus, Elphinstone) in July on Grand Sea Serpent and can fully recommend. The trip is all about the sharks (as opposed to North routes, which are mostly wreck-oriented) and we did see them pretty much every day, with occasional mantas and turtles. The guide responsible for my group was very good, cannot comment about the others. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. The boat was comfortable, though the bedrooms basic and small. Still, I'd spend most of the time on the decks and there it was very pleasant.

I would recommend summer months, even though hot, it is plenty windy on the boat and rooms have usually aircon, so you do not notice much of heat. Water temperature much higher, days longer etc. I agree with BDE itinerary is the one you would probably like more. I usually try to find out the last dry dock/refit date of the boat. Even the good boats are a little "tired" pre-drydock.

I did 2 weeks back to back in April-May of 2016 Trip Report - Red Sea Aggressor April-May 2016. First week was the southern route, second week was Brothers-Daedalus-Elphinstone. Both weeks were excellent and very complimentary. If I could only do a week, it would be BDE. Saw most everything I wanted except for Oceanic Whitetips (not the right time of year). Many Hammerhead Sharks, Grey and Whitetip Reef Sharks, mantas, Thresher Sharks... Water temps were 74-79 F.

We did 4 dives at Little Brother, 4 dives at Big Brother, and 8 dives at Daedalus. The itinerary may be different now, especially at Brothers, following the Oceanic Whitetip bites with closure and reopening 2018-2019.It looks like you can not get in more than 3, perhaps 4 dives here during the one day visit. For someone who has been recently, is that correct?

Sorry, I can't help you with an operator or boat. I was on the Red Sea Aggressor I that burned and sank in November, 2019.

We live in the UK, pre COVID this was just a 5 hour flight away from Egypt which we have dived many times. The BDE route is absolutely superb and in the Summer months there are ridiculous amounts of big pelagics on these reefs and at any time of year the water is like gin and the reefs amazing !

This is really superb thank you.
I am set on the BDE itinerary then.
Now on timing if i may, i read from your kind replies that summer is better. Fair. Does anyone have a view on how summer vs march/april fares for the largest species?
For eg what is The season , in the BDE itinerary, for

Oceanice whitetips
Thresher
Mantas
Dolphins
Hammers

?

Any indication SUPER apppreciated, i know these things are always down to luck , but any view or knowledge you might have is v useful

I was there in mid-March a couple of years back on the BDE itenerary and didn't see any sharks, plus was cold all week in a 5 mm suit. If I ever go back it will be later in the season. I was on the Aggressor boat which caught fire and sank later that year and was happy with the boat, although I got annoyed with the over-the-top "service" at times. I can put my own fins on just fine, thanks.

[QUOTE="rongoodman, post: 9291113, member: 59139"I was on the Aggressor boat which caught fire and sank later that year and was happy with the boat, although I got annoyed with the over-the-top "service" at times. I can put my own fins on just fine, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I had been on several LOB before the RSA and was not really bothered by the dive deck service. In fairness to the the dive deck crew - many of whom had previously worked as merchant seamen - helping put on fins and wrapping folks in warm towels as they got out of their gear was probably a new experience for them.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom