Egypt/Red Sea Snorkeling: Dahab vs Sharm vs Marsa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinetwo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I had completed my itinerary and settled on Dahab for a place to try diving and go snorkeling (so far I've only been snorkeling so I'd probably pick up my Padi open water referral beforehand and do a few dives out in egypt).

We're looking at Dahab and may stay in Le Meridien because they have a great house reef. We may also visit Sharm initially for 2-3 days as we're doing a day trip to the pyramids, as people are highly recommending Ras Mohammed for snorkeling as well.

My current itinerary:
Day 1-3: Sharm at a hotel away from the 'euro-scene' :)
Day 4-9: Dahab at either:
(1) swanky hotel with house reef and then do trips to other spots as necessary
(2) more authentic hotel in town centre, walkable to a few diving/snorkeling places and perhaps make trips to other house reefs

Now, a few questions if someone's able to answer 'em:
* Has anyone been to Egypt / Red Sea and tried snorkeling and diving (with preference to snorkeling)?
* Of Dahab, Sharm and Marsa, which has the best 'on beach' snorkeling? E.g. house reefs, no boat trips etc.
* Generally speaking, of the snorkeling that can be done, do you need to be a great freediver to see things or can you see most things from the surface?

I'd greatly appreciate any responses and recommendations!

Many thanks,
Constantly-changing-my-mind-SineTwo

Hi, been to Dahab end of 2012 and been disapointed... Sharm is the favourite for me. Ras Mohammed, Tiran and local - you'll have plenty to choose from and can still do a day's trip to Dahab :)

If you need more detailed info - just let me know - I can also give you some advice on choosing a reliable operator

If you'll have time - do the Scuba Review - well worth it :wink:

Hi all,

I thought I had completed my itinerary and settled on Dahab for a place to try diving and go snorkeling (so far I've only been snorkeling so I'd probably pick up my Padi open water referral beforehand and do a few dives out in egypt).

We're looking at Dahab and may stay in Le Meridien because they have a great house reef. We may also visit Sharm initially for 2-3 days as we're doing a day trip to the pyramids, as people are highly recommending Ras Mohammed for snorkeling as well.

My current itinerary:
Day 1-3: Sharm at a hotel away from the 'euro-scene' :)
Day 4-9: Dahab at either:
(1) swanky hotel with house reef and then do trips to other spots as necessary
(2) more authentic hotel in town centre, walkable to a few diving/snorkeling places and perhaps make trips to other house reefs

Now, a few questions if someone's able to answer 'em:
* Has anyone been to Egypt / Red Sea and tried snorkeling and diving (with preference to snorkeling)?
* Of Dahab, Sharm and Marsa, which has the best 'on beach' snorkeling? E.g. house reefs, no boat trips etc.
* Generally speaking, of the snorkeling that can be done, do you need to be a great freediver to see things or can you see most things from the surface?

I'd greatly appreciate any responses and recommendations!

Many thanks,
Constantly-changing-my-mind-SineTwo

I was researching freedive/apnea techniques and came across this video of Ras Mohammed. By far the best freediving video I've seen. If you have the chance to go to Ras, take it.

Inside The Walls - Freediving Ras Mohammed - YouTube

Fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom