Egypt safer than US & UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on where and who you are, what you look like
Well, it sort of does everywhere to varying degrees.
Specific to Egypt, rising in ranking from rank 82 in 2016 to 16 now (in that cited Gallup poll), is that something you arrive at from the poll somehow?
I'd be curious to learn what changed to affect that...(in the poll or in reality)...
Or is it something you have recent personal experience in Egypt.... - actually, what exactly are you saying or stipulating?

what to discuss?
all crime from Africa goes to Europe with refugees
Egypt became safer, Europe more criminous
What's to discuss you ask:
Well, I'd be e.g. curious if there were real changes on the ground that affected an actual increase in safety - or just an increase in the perception of safety - or, if I wanted to think "darkley" maybe just an increase in fear of authority that caused all replies to the poll to be "rosy red", or...
I'd be curious to hear opinions from those you live and work in Egypt, whatever nationality they might be...
etc...
As far as for your "conclusion":
Really?
These things, as you put them might indeed affect things, - possibly - maybe, but proving cause and effect is going to be quite tough. And do you really think that many Egyptian criminals moved to Europe now ... or even commute there to do their "deeds"?
Let me illustrate by asking you:
There are those who think the crime statistics (particularly break ins) in Western Europe, e.g. in areas of Germany worsened considerably after the iron curtain fell. I may have had a first hand experience at the receiving end, I won't let that drive me to the same conclusion.. But if that kind of conclusion were true / viable one could ask: Did crime e.g. in Russia go down dramatically immediately or soon after the fall of the iron curtain?
Does the same stipulation feel different if it hits closer to home?
Let me be clear: I am not stipulating that, I am trying to illustrate what I think of stipulating these things.

We just came back from an eleven day trip to Egypt, and while we did not experience any "security issues" while there, we found it disconcerting that our Cairo guide kept telling us "If anyone, including security officers ask where you are from, tell them South Africa, from Johannesburg, and you left your passports in the hotel." I told him we sure don't sound like South Africans, more like Canadians. His response "Well, Canadians are a little less of a problem, but not by much." I don't think we were at additional risk for petty crime any more than anyone else in Egypt, but had not doubt we were at additional risk for major problems. As far as crime statistics are concerned, I have a lot less faith in the accuracy of such reports coming out of Egypt and similar countries than U.S. or Western European countries.

I wonder how the poll accounts for differences in perception in different societies?

Let me illustrate by asking you:
There are those who think the crime statistics (particularly break ins) in Western Europe, e.g. in areas of Germany worsened considerably after the iron curtain fell. I may have had a first hand experience at the receiving end, I won't let that drive me to the same conclusion.. But if that kind of conclusion were true / viable one could ask: Did crime e.g. in Russia go down dramatically immediately or soon after the fall of the iron curtain?
I do not have such information, but I can trust you in this case (Crime rise in W.E. after USSR was fallen).
BUT! Egypt stay solid country, and USSR was broken up. We had not powerful government and police in thoose time, and sure - internal crime staying the same level or even more crazy. High-level crime goes to Europe, low-level of scum of society goes up, and they was much more hell-raisers, than others, who goes for better life to the west.

For Egypt - those crime elements goes for the better booty in Europe and had enough wisdom and money to go for better life, and low-level crime not so wise, and much easyer to be caught by police.

So - first topic idea looks reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom