Egyptian diver Wael Omar prepares for deepest dive of 400 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not if you are a cardboard box manufacturer, who has his name all over everything, and can see your boxes all up in the sky.

Just a mere technicality

Reactions: oya
Further, what is known from this diver? From doc deep we knew he had only 595 dives. Are there some preperation dives done by this diver?

I'm not defending or attacking anybody, but I believe Wael Omar held the record (330m) before Ahmed Gabr broke it (332m). This guy seems to be much more experienced, especially at these insane depths, than Doc Deep. I wish him and his team the best of luck if they're set on attempting it.

I'm not defending or attacking anybody, but I believe Wael Omar held the record (330m) before Ahmed Gabr broke it (332m). This guy seems to be much more experienced, especially at these insane depths, than Doc Deep. I wish him and his team the best of luck if they're set on attempting it.

I would like to see the source for that claim (other than this one Egyptian article). I have not been able to find any information corroborating it. To the best of my knowledge, the record that preceded Gabr's was that of Nuno Gomes.

Pascal Bernabe claimed to have made a 330m dive not long after Nuno Gomes but that dive wasn't confirmed by The Guinness Book of World Records.

and if he pulls it off it will be a feat for the ages.
Until next year when someone attempts a 403m dive.

Seriously though, the article has very little information in it. I'd like to at least know a bit more about the attempt.
I wonder how someone sets up a dive like this? Drop a really long line with a tag at 400m I would imagine. Do you clip tanks at intervals along that line for the trip, or would you have all of your tanks with 'safety divers' at 100m (or whatever they're willing to go to) and carry all of the 100m-400m and 400m-100m gas on you? Logistics... how do you manage 160 tanks on what I assume will be multiple boats with multiple people working around them?

good luck to all involved.....

I would like to see the source for that claim (other than this one Egyptian article). I have not been able to find any information corroborating it. To the best of my knowledge, the record that preceded Gabr's was that of Nuno Gomes.

Pascal Bernabe claimed to have made a 330m dive not long after Nuno Gomes but that dive wasn't confirmed by The Guinness Book of World Records.

Then maybe Pascal was who I was thinking of with the unofficial 330m dive....but the article claimed he had the 330m record before Gabr's dive, so I figured it was him. Before Ahmed Gabr's dive, and even before Doc Deep's dive, there were talks of a diver (I thought it was Wael Omar) that had an unofficial dive to 330m. Even after Ahmed Gabr's record dive, they were saying it was fortunately confirmed deeper than the unofficial record so it wasn't in contention. Nuno had the official record before Gabr, though, at 318m.

Last edited:
Decompression is an issue, as a "safe" deco schedule for a commercial diver at this depth (satured, not bounce, granted) can be far longer, but compression itself is a problem. Fast compression is known to worsen HPNS symptoms, and any kind of slower descent is very impractical using SCUBA, as it would mean far more gas for the descent and far more gas as well to decompress afterward, never mind the duration of the deco.

At one point, and I think we're close to it, the only practical diveplan converges towards the "doc deep bet" (fast bounce, most likely killing you from something linked to HPNS). Depending on the rules it might be possible to extend a bit the amount of deco by exiting water and immediately entering an hyperbaric chamber, navy style, but in the end the limiting factor will be : how long can you hang on a deco bar ? (lauching a "deco at 6m duration world record" might save lives instead)

I think he should go for 1200 feet instead.

The risk of HPNS using a Trimix (I am guessing he will use six stages with final bottom mix being like 3/77 or 3/80) or a Heliox mix (3/97 O2 @ 400m) would be almost suicidal. Wouldn't the risk be a lot less if he was to dive with Hydreliox or even just straight Hydrox? He would have to stay on it for different travel gases or extend deco to factor in isobaric counter diffusion if he were to switch back to heliox or trimix (don't see why he would).

Sure Hydrox has significant blending risks, but doing Heliox to 400m is practically suicide. I am not sure if Hydrox has been used outside of research, but it was proven to eliminate HPNS after the simulated chamber dive to 700m by Theo Mavrostomos in 1990 and only negative effects were narcosis starting at around 500m.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom